Region's Covid vaccine supplies to be halved according to reports

The North East’s supplies of coronavirus vaccine face being halved next week, according to reports.

Thursday, 21st January 2021, 1:45 pm
Updated Thursday, 21st January 2021, 5:03 pm
Fears are growing that the North East's vaccine supplies are to be slashed next week.

It has been reported on Thursday, January 21, that the region is expected to have at least 100,000 less doses next week so that more immunisations can take place in other parts of the country.

This is said to be because the North East, which is paired with Yorkshire as an NHS region, has administered a higher percentage of jabs to eligible groups of people than elsewhere.

The respected Health Service Journal (HSJ) has today claimed: “Well-placed sources said the North East and Yorkshire, one of seven English NHS regions, had been told there would be around 100,000 doses available next week for its centres run by GP practices, which make up the large majority of current vaccinations.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"This will be down from about 200,000 this week.

“They have been told the main reason is that large parts of the North East and Yorkshire have vaccinated a greater percentage of their population than other regions, including very many of the over 80s, meaning they are more quickly moving on to groups under 80.

“Sources said it was a major frustration in the area, especially in primary care, because they had set up the capacity to administer tens of thousands more than they would be able to.”

An NHS England spokesperson said: “All available vaccine doses are being delivered to vaccination sites and every GP-led vaccination site is receiving a delivery this week.

"To ensure all of those people in the top priority groups can get vaccinated quickly, targeted deliveries are being made to areas where there are more people left to vaccinate in the priority cohorts.”

Figures last week indicated that around 46% of people aged 80 and over in our region had received a first dose.

This compared to 29 per cent in the East of England and 31 per cent in London.

The issue was also raised in the House of Commons by Conservative MP Selaine Saxby, who represents North Devon, when he told health secretary Matt Hancock: “My inbox is overflowing with elderly residents desperately worried that despite being over 80, 90 and even 100, they have still heard nothing from their GP.

You can subscribe to this website and enjoy unlimited access to local news, information and puzzles online.

With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Simply click ‘Subscribe’ in the menu.