There are three sets of 10 questions. The first is on music, the second is history and the third is general knowledge.
Answers are at the end of each round. Good luck and no cheating mind.
The music round
1. Which band spent six weeks at number one in 2003 with the single Where is the Love?
2. Which clothing did Brian Hyland sing about in 1960?
3. Often heard at weddings, who composed the movement Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring in 1723?
4. Which actress, who died in 2005, was the subject of a song in the musical Grease?
5. Which Tim Rice/Andrew Lloyd Webber musical was made into a 1996 film directed by Alan Parker?
6. Ashley Roberts is a singer in which girl group?
7. In which northern US city, famed for music, did Aretha Franklin die in 2018?
8. Who wrote the 1944 song Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye?
9. From which 1976 film is the song So You Want To Be A Boxer?
10. What was the name of the Foo Fighters 1995 debut album?
Answers: music round
1. Black Eyed Peas 2. (Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot) Bikini 3. JS Bach 4. Sandra Dee 5. Evita 6. The Pussycat Dolls 7. Detroit 8. Cole Porter 9. Bugsy Malone 10. Foo Fighters
The history round
1. Who won the 1976 US presidential election?
2. Give any year in the life of the economist Adam Smith?
3. Which trade union was banned in Poland on 8 October 1982?
4. Who was the first king of England to die in 1066?
5. Who was the leader of the British Fascists in the 1930s?
6. Which UK Prime Minister said that ‘a week is a long time in politics’?
7. Which tower opened in 2014 replaced Manhattan’s Twin Towers?
8. Who discovered the DNA molecule in 1953?
9. Which future king married Anne Neville in 1472? He died in 1485.
10. Which former First Lady of the Philippines famously owned over 3,000 pairs of shoes?
Answers: history round
1. Jimmy Carter 2. 1723-1790 3. Solidarity 4. Edward the Confessor 5. Oswald Moseley 6. Harold Wilson 7. The One World Trade Center or Freedom Tower 8. Francis Crick and James D. Watson 9. Richard III 10. Imelda Marcos
The general knowledge round
1. In which country is the city of Tijuana?
2. Which wildlife expert was killed by a stingray at the Great Barrier Reef in September 2006?
3. Who was the Premier League’s top scorer in the 2019-20 season?
4. What was the name of JK Rowling’s 2012 novel: her first for adults?
5. Who is the current deputy leader of the Labour Party?
6. Which sportsman married a Swede called Elin Nordegren in 2004? They were famously divorced in 2010.
7. What in the Jewish faith is a menorah?
8. Which Latin phrase and legal term literally means ‘you shall have the body’?
9. In which country is Pope John Paul II buried?
10. Which BBC comedy, first shown in 2002, followed the adventures of two Scottish pensioners called Jack Jarvis and Victor McDade?
Answers: general knowledge round
1. Mexico 2. Steve Irwin 3. Jamie Vardy 4. The Casual Vacancy 5. Angela Rayner 6. Tiger Woods 7. The seven pronged candelabra 8. Habeus corpus
9. The Vatican (be generous and accept Italy, although not technically correct) 10. Still Game