There are three sets of 10 questions. The first is geography, the second is films and the third is pot luck.
Answers are at the end of each round. Good luck and no cheating mind.
The geography round
1. Which County Durham town is twinned with Nordenham in northern Germany?
2. At 185 miles long, which is the third longest river in England after the Severn and the Thames?
3. In which US state is Chicago?
4. What is the capital of Chile?
5. Which major Southern Hemisphere city is served by Kingsford Smith Airport?
6. Which hill is the highest point in Sunderland?
7. Which is the second largest city in Italy?
8. The A179 connects the A19 which which town centre?
9. In which county is the town of Luton?
10. Alnwick Castle sits beside which river?
Answers: geography round
1. Peterlee 2. The Trent 3. Illinois 4. Santiago 5. Sydney 6. Penshaw Hill 7. Milan (Rome is first) 8. Hartlepool 9. Bedfordshire 10. The River Aln
The films round
1. Which Anthony Burgess novel was made into a film by Stanley Kubrick?
2. The 2004 film Million Dollar Baby is about which sport?
3. In which 2002 film is Daniel Day-Lewis a knife thrower and Cameron Diaz his assistant?
4. Which Oscar winning actor is the father of Angelina Jolie?
5. Who played the mafia informer Henry Hill in Goodfellas?
6. Which British actress was nominated for seven Oscars between and 1996 and 2016, winning only one?
7. Who was the female star of the film Casablanca?
8. Which 1966 film is known in Italy as Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo?
9. Which actress won an Oscar for the 2002 film Chicago?
10. In which 1983 does a gluttonous diner called Mr Creosote explode?
Answers: film round
1. A Clockwork Orange 2. Boxing 3. Gangs Of New York 4. John Voight 5. Ray Liotto 6. Kate Winslet 7. Ingrid Bergman 8. The Good the Bad and the Ugly 9. Catherine Zeta-Jones 10. Monty Python’s Meaning of Life
The pot luck round
1. Which footballer, born 1981, scored for Sunderland in games against Middlesbrough and Hartlepool, and for Middlesbrough against both Sunderland and Newcastle?
2. What is the main religion of Bangladesh?
3. What was the famous 1592 description of the dramatist Robert Greene of his rival William Shakespeare?
4. Who was the narrator of Gogglebox until her death in 2016?
5. Who wrote the novel Fifty Shades of Grey?
6. Which instrument was played by the classical musician Julian Bream, who dies in August 2020?
7. Who admitted to giving the former MP Neil Hamilton ‘cash for questions’ in 1994?
8. Which literary characters included a dog called Timmy?
9. Who retired as prima ballerina of the Royal Ballet in 2007 at the age of 38?
10. Which singer’s first UK hit single was The A Team in 2011?
Answers: pot luck round
1. Julio Arca 2. Islam 3. An ‘Upstart Crow’ 4. Caroline Aherne 5. E.L. James 6. Guitar 7. Mohamed Al-Fayed 8. The Famous Five 9. Darcey Bussell 10. Ed Sheeran