Alnwick is famed for its eateries and its range of gastronomic offerings.
From quintessentially British cafés to restaurants offering dishes from around the world, the Northumberland town attracts foodies from the length and breadth of the country.
Here is a list of the current top 10 venues (as of December 7, 2015), rated by visitors to the travel website TripAdviser, with links to the Gazette’s latest reviews.
1. Bari Tea, Narrowgate - quirky, Northumbrian café. We said: ‘A dream for local-food aficionados.’ Read our full review here.
2. Thai Vibe, Narrowgate - Thai restaurant. We said: ‘Thai Vibe has it all. Tasty food, well presented and at a reasonable price.’ Read our full review here.
3. Strawberry Lounge, Narrowgate - traditional café. We said: ‘A hidden gem that hits the spot on all fronts.’ Read our full review here.
4. Mumbai Flavours, Narrowgate – Indian restaurant. We said: ‘A real cultural treat, offering creative dishes in a very pleasant area. It is perfect for beginners and serious curry junkies alike.’ Read our full review here.
5. The Old Stables, Broomhouse - quaint café. We said: ‘I really enjoyed our visit – excellent quality and a very good price.’ Read our full review here.
6. The Pantry, Market Street – Northumberland Pantries is a series of outlets around the county, stocking and selling fresh pies, breads, cakes and more by NRP Foods Ltd. Not yet reviewed by the Gazette. Here is their website.
7. Station Buffet, Barter Books – diner situated in a converted railway station at the heart of a secondhand book store. We said: ‘Barely a crumb survived on the plate opposite, which spoke volumes from a person who is not the greatest cake fan.’ Read our full review here.
8. Grannies, Narrowgate – traditional café and shop selling local produce. In 2007, we said: ‘As a lunch option, you can’t go far wrong with Grannies. It’s exactly the sort of place you hope to discover while away on your holidays.’ Read our full review here.
9. Carlo’s, Market Street – fish and chips restaurant and takeaway. We said: ‘The very definition of good fish and chips.’ Read our full review here.
10. Yan’s, Bondgate Within – Cantonese cuisine, We said: ‘There was a generous helping of both meats, while the veg was cut into large chunks. Both dishes tasted very fresh indeed.’ Read our full review here.
And just outside the top 10 is ... Mivesi, Market Place - Indian menu. We said: ‘A wide selection of well-presented, tasty Indian dishes.’ Read our full review here.