Winning run comes to a shuddering halt

Alnwick (92 all out) v Consett (96-2)

Wellstream Northumberland and Tyneside Senior Cricket League, Division A2

ALNWICK’S run of undefeated matches came to an end on Saturday when they were comprehensibly beaten by Consett for whom West Indian and Durham county player Gareth Breese showed his undoubted class, taking 3 for 30 and then hitting a match-winning 63 not out to calm the visitors’ nerves as they were 17 for 2 with both openers back in the clubhouse.

To say that the reason that Alnwick lost was due entirely to the presence of Breese is probably well off target, as the batting, apart from the Thompson brothers was to say the least dismal.

Alnwick showed three changes from the regular side and Andrew Scott played although carrying a knee injury.

The inclusion of Allen Thompson and his two sons Richard, home from New Zealand on holiday, and Matthew, on a short visit from Leeds, enabled the family to play together, something that has not happened for many years.

Consett won the toss and promptly put Alnwick in on a softish wicket which was to prove bowler-friendly throughout the Alnwick innings and into the visitors’ reply.

Michael Brewis was the first to go, caught at the wicket, then Allen Thompson was brilliantly caught by Breese in the slips.

Peter Matthewson and Robbie Green took the score to 21 before Green was out and Matthewson was given out lbw at 28.

Matthew Thompson then produced a fine innings.

Unfortunately, apart from a brief cameo from brother Richard, the remaining batsmen were unable to offer any resistance before skipper O’Hara and Thompson added 25 for the last wicket.

Thompson carried his bat for a good 29 scored in 101 minutes off 85 balls. Hopps, Dixon and Breese collected the home wickets between them.

Alnwick received brief encouragement when Thompson, following on from his fine batting, had Waters well caught for four and then trapped Callum Barnes lbw.

However, after six overs, he strained a leg muscle and was unable to continue.

Although O’Hara, Wright and Richard Thompson bowled tidily, they were unable to contain Breese, who hit 10 fours and one six in a fine innings of 63 not out assisted by the stubborn Michael Barnes, who weighed in with 20 achieved in 67 minutes.

While it brought Alnwick back to earth after their recent run, hopefully this was only a minor hiccup and they can quickly get back into winning ways.

The match was sponsored by Alnwick Paint & Glass of South Road Industrial Estate, Alnwick.