Warenford take Tate title

Warenford are the winners of theTate Cup.
Warenford are the winners of theTate Cup.

Warenford came out on top as they took on Tillside II in the Tate Cup Final on Sunday.

Warenford won the toss and opted to bat first with tight bowling from Tillside restricting them to 121-8.

Brian Thompson top-scored with 35 and a huge six by tail-ender Graeme Turner (15) helped push Warenford past 100.

Youngster Duncan Sim was the pick of the Tillside bowlers with 4-31.

The majority had Warenford at least 20 runs short and at the interval, Tillside were firm favourites to lift the cup, but as play resumed, John Hogg and Graham Rogerson, Warenford’s veteran opening bowlers, had other ideas, sending the first five Tillside batsmen back to the hutch with the score barely reaching double-figures.

They both bowled five overs apiece stump to stump with Hoggy returning 2-17 and star Graham Rogerson 5-8.

Guy Filer took a fine catch at short mid-off to dismiss Andrew Skeen for one, although the batsman must consider himself extremely unlucky as Guy had dropped his previous eight catching chances.

Ross Hindmarsh (17) and Stuart Wright (18) led a brief fight-back, but their dismissals, coupled with an excellent direct-hit run-out of Duncan Sim by Graeme Turner signalled the beginning of the end for Tillside as Ian Patterson claimed the final two wickets as Tillside were all out for 56.

League sponsor Andrew Aitchison presented the cup to winning Warenford captain Kevin ‘Boiler’ Thompson.

The previous day saw more T20 action, where both Tate Cup finalists were victorious alongside Wooler and Embleton.

Wooler romped home to a 103-run win at Warkworth, who put the visitors into bat.

The real damage was done by Anthony Murray, who scored 91 including nine fours and two sixes. He was well-supported by fellow opener Paul McKenna (32) and Angus Todd (26). Ian Clarke and Andrew Aitchinson finished on 16 and 22 not out respectively, which saw Wooler to 206-4 in their 20 overs.

In reply, Warkworth lost only three wickets but couldn’t get close to the required run rate, finishing their alloted overs with 103-3 on the board. Olly Webster top-scored with 55 not out.

Embleton were also big winners as they hosted Rock and ran out 95-run victors.

Batting first, the home side managed to post a total of 184-4 with Martin Grey top-scoring with 79. Philip Grey ended the innings with 26 not out.

In reply, Rock opener Roderick Bell scored44 before he was caught and bowled by Richard Alsept, but he received no support at the other end, with no one managing to make it to double-figures.

Four batsmen were out for ducks and extras were the second-highest scorer with 16. Alsept ended as the pick of the bowlers with 4-18 off his four overs.

At Warenford, Mitford batted first but ended up losing by six wickets.

The away side scored 105-6 from their 20 overs with Bhavesh Patel top-scoring with an unbeaten 30.

Regular wickets and tight bowling, in particular from Tony Potts (1-15) and Ian Patterson (1-13), meant the target score was always manageable.

Despite losing opener Brian Thompson to a duck, 42 not out from Kevin Thompson and 28 from Potts got Warenford across the line with two overs to spare for the loss of four wickets.

Howick/Alnmouth and Lesbury were swept aside by Tillside, who scored 99 despite figures of 3-5 from C Batey with the ball. James Whittle top-scored with 39.

The home side managed 95-7 with Riddell top-scoring with 33.