Tillside take T20 trophy by the narrowest of margins in final

editorial image

Tillside 1sts celebrated a last gasp win in the final of the Thomas Wilson T20 Cup when they beat Blue Flames by the narrowest of margins at Benwell. The Etal side snatched victory by only one run.

Tillside got off to a flyer and found themselves 54-0 off the six powerplay overs with Liam Hindmarsh and Jack Bagness both going well. Hindmarsh was eventually caught on the boundary going for a six, having accumulated 64 off 43 balls, including eight fours.

Bagness then upped his own scoring rate and soon reached 50, Tillside finishing on 140-4 off their 20 overs.

Jake Birkett lost 15 in the first over as Blue Flames made a good start in response.

Luke Dickson replaced him and picked up a wicket in his second over to leave Flames on 32-1.

Richard Chapman hit 40 and with Andrew Horner on 29 not out, they were always in with a shout as the scoreboard ticked over.

Law Atkinson produced an outstanding catch on the boundary, and the opposition needed 23 off the last three overs to win.

This was reduced to 13 off the final over, but a run-out had Flames wobbling, although they still gave themselves a chance, needing six off the last ball to win.

They managed to hit a boundary, but only a four, giving them 139, meaning Tillside had won by one in a dramatic finale.

On Saturday Tillside had a slightly easier victory, winning by 54 runs against Blagdon Park in the Premier League.

Tillside started well and were 30-0, but as the rain started to fall Liam Hindmarsh was caught behind for 27. They were soon 41-3 and as wickets continued to tumble they were 68-8 with Duncan Sim on 29.

Calum Bickerton, batting at number 11, hit a late 23 and Tillside ended on 134.

Sim took a wicket in the first over and Blagdon then found themselves at 33-3 off ten.

The match turned when Jake Birkett managed to take 4-19, which saw Blagdon all out for 80.

Warkworth continued their pursuit of the Northumberland League title on Saturday with a three wicket victory over league leaders Ashington Rugby at the Castle Field.

Skipper Douglas was more than happy to be asked to take the field first with his full armoury of bowlers available however openers Dent & Tanney made a steady start and were punishing any loose deliveries.

The partnership was broken when Tanney took a quick single to extra cover & the alter Douglas picked up and threw down the stumps with the batsman well short of his ground.

Ashington were then in a spot of bother when they lost Hardy and Adamson in quick succession but the innings was stabilised by father and son Paul and Corey Milburn who batted sensibly despite the former taking a nasty blow to the side when his son hit a half volley right at him while he was backing up, fortunately he was able to continue and held the innings together while wickets were tumbling made a good 50.

The innings eventually closed on 157 with Pringle the pick of the bowlers by taking 3-11.

With rain clouds gathering Warkworth started their innings and lost both openers cheaply before Sewell and Wilson steadied the ship with some sensible batting before Sewell was lbw to C Milburn in his second spell.

This brought about a familiar mid-innings collapse before Wilson and Pringle halted the slide with both looking very comfortable before Wilson was bowled by Milburn for a well made 30.

With seven wickets down Ashington sensed victory but Pringle and Glass batted steadily and ran down the required runs with few troubles to give Warkworth a fine victory with Pringle finishing 34 not out out and Glass 18 not out.

In Division 1, Warenford had a narrow four run home victory over Clara Vale.

Michael Thompson hit 63, Daniel Patterson 41 and Gordon Stephenson 30 not out as Warenford opened up with 202-9 in their 50 overs.

Sadiq Amin then hit 80 for Clara Vale, and with Shahzad Alvi on 49 the visitors were always in with a shout. However, they came up just short, finishing on 198 in the 47th over.

Ian Patterson and Michael Thompson both claimed three wickets apiece in what was always a close encounter.

In Division 3 Wooler were awarded the full 30 points after Monkseaton conceded their fixture at Glendale.

Embleton lost by five wickets when they faced Monkseaton 2nds at home in Division 3.

Cameron Thorpe top scored with an unbeaten 36 as Embleton posted 119 all out in the 29th over.

Robert Zanetti then hit 88 not out as Monkseaton replied with 122-5 in the 40th over.

Rock lost by six wickets when they entertained Alnmouth and Lesbury.

Kevin Wilson hit 44 and Kieran North 26 as Rock made 113 all out with Richard Elliott and Thorsten Robinson each taking three wickets.

In reply, Alnmouth and Lesbury hit 115-4.

Warkworth 2nds beat Ulgham 2nds by five wickets.

Guy Scholes top scored with 35 as Ulgham opened with 120-7 in their 40 overs.

John Briggs junior was Warkworth!s most successful bowler with figures of 3-20.

In reply, Warkworth eased to 122-5 in 33 overs with Briggs on 29.