Improving Morpeth climb table with win over Malton

Morpeth rugby.Morpeth rugby.
Morpeth rugby.
Morpeth RFC 30Malton and Norton 19This was another victory for the ever improving Morpeth side which took them another couple of places up the league as they joined the teams occupying the top the third of North East One, writes Colin Green.

The game unfortunately petered out disappointingly in the last quarter with numerous penalties being awarded. In terms of possession Malton had more of the ball but Morpeth always looked that slightly more dangerous when it came to taking their chances. Yet there was very little between the sides.

The game opened with a cracking Morpeth score. At the four minute mark, the backs handled well and full back Telford took a superb line, breaching the Malton defence before the full back straightened and took out the last man, to send Centre Jake McKay over by the posts for a converted score. 7-0.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The home score seemed to galvanise their opponents who then dominated possession encamped in the Morpeth half. The early loss of prop Ben Sandall didn't help the home side.

Just when Morpeth may have thought they had survived the onslaught, a momentary loss of concentration around the fringes of a ruck allowed Malton to get the try they fully deserved. 7-7.

Back came Morpeth in, what at that time, was an open free flowing affair. The energetic Grieves then got on the score sheet after scrum half Elliott had repeatedly probed the Malton defence. With McKay adding the conversion it became 14-7 on 30 minutes.

The home side were now in control and on 35 minutes a smart grubber kick after a Jonny Ward tackle and turn over saw the impressive Telford score.19-7.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Then just on halftime Ward literally ran around the defence to score in the corner following a quickly taken penalty. This was Ward's 87 th first team try in his 100 appearance- a really impressive strike rate. 24-7 at halftime.

All credit has to go to Malton who took the game to Morpeth in the second half. On 50 minutes they scored an unconverted try from an attacking lineout. 24-12.

Then after a missed Malton penalty chance Morpeth scored a penalty of their own for 27-12.

The game became disjointed in the last quarter. McKay converted another home penalty before Malton got a deserved try for 30-19.

Related topics: