Alnwick make it four league wins in a row

KIRBY LONSDALE 18ALNWICK RFC 25Alnwick, coming into this match on the back of three successive wins, were in 11th place in the league on 32 points whilst Kirkby Lonsdale, having lost their last three matches, occupied eighth spot on 37 points.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 11th February 2020, 2:49 pm
Updated Tuesday, 11th February 2020, 2:56 pm
Action from Kirby Lonsdale v Alnwick.
Action from Kirby Lonsdale v Alnwick.

With only four points covering the five places behind Kirkby at the start of the day and Alnwick seeking only their second away win of the season, this promised to be a competitive match between two sides eager to strengthen their league positions.

Fortuitously, the afternoon stayed dry with the only harbinger of storm Ciara being a moderately strong wind blowing straight down the pitch. This was to Alnwick’s benefit as Kirkby Lonsdale kicked off on the firm and close-cropped surface.

Despite some relief from a penalty, Alnwick found themselves under pressure in the opening minutes largely due to failing to hit their jumper at two line-outs. This was a recurring problem throughout the game and later led directly to Kirkby’s second try.

Kirkby opened the scoring after 6 minutes with Fearon striking a well-judged penalty kick across the wind for 3 – 0 but Alnwick were level through a Callum Burn penalty 4 minutes later.

Almost directly from the re-start, as Kirkby were setting up an attack on Alnwick’s 22, winger Addison was quick to pounce on a fumbled pass, hacking the ball up-field into Kirkby’s 22. With Kirkby’s backs poised to attack, there was no last line of defence and Addison out-paced his pursuers to gather the ball cleanly and touch down, with Callum Burn converting for a 3 -10 lead.

Kirkby attacked straight from the re-start and set up a catch-and-drive from a 5 metre line-out following a penalty. Alnwick held the first thrust but flanker Storey claimed the touch-down from the secondary phase to make it 8 – 10 with the conversion missed.

Alnwick’s uncompromising tackling perpetually frustrated Kirkby’s lively backs whose efforts to gain superiority were undone as they conceded four penalties in the space of 10 minutes.

The last of these followed a ruck 10 metres from the home line and scrum-half Peter Moralee, alert as ever, took a quick tap-and go and was touching down before the pea in the referee’s whistle

Continued on page 60.