Three league wins out of three for Alnmouth and Tillside

editorial image

Alnmouth & Lesbury made it three wins from three games in the Northumberland and Tyneside Senior League with an easy win over Bedlington.

Bedlington were put into bat but their innings lasted only 23 overs as they were bowled out for just 41.

No batsman made double figures and the chief Alnmouth destroyers were Matt Willcocks, who bowled seven overs, including six maidens, and took three wickets for just two runs, and Piers Robinson who took four wickets for 22.

Alnmouth openers Paul Straker and Russell Hughes made a good start but once Hughes was dismissed, Ed Brunton, Charles Anderson and Straker quickly followed, before captain Tom Vickers ended the game with quick boundaries to give a six-wicket victory in just the 14th over.

Alnwick 1sts went down by 34 runs at home to Annfield Plain 1sts, leaving them searching for their first win of the season.

Owen Shield hit 14 boundaries on his way to a top score of 88 for the visitors, who put on 237-9 in their 50 overs, with Gareth Bateman taking 5-31.

Max Harrison hit 57, David Wright 32 and Ben Threfall 31 as Alnwick made 203 in reply with Michael Hawdon taking four wickets for Annfield.

In the reverse fixture, Alnwick 2nds went down by eight wickets at Annfield.

Alnwick batted first and were all out for 74 with Matthew Stewart the top scorer on 14. This, in the main, was down to the form of Liam Maddison with the ball, who finished with fine figures of 7-15 off his ten overs.

Daniel Smith hit 40 not out in reply as Annfield won with 76-2 in 14 overs.

Tillside 1sts continued their unbeaten start to the season in the Northumberland and Tyneside Senior League on Saturday. The Etal outfit made it three wins out of three with a 116-run victory away to Bates Cottages.

Tillside batted first and, with several of their bats in the runs, they put on a big score of 271-8 in their 50 overs.

Opener Liam Hinsmarsh started brightly with 62 off 77 balls, which included nine boundaries.

Law Atkinson then hit seven to the ropes as he smashed 66 in 85 balls.

Gareth Hill also hit seven fours on his way to 36, while Cameron McGregor was on 24 not out at the close of the innings.

Ross Symington took three of the wickets for the loss of 57 runs.

In reply, Bates made a steady start, with opener Martin Golightly hitting 40. After fellow opener Gavin Turnbull went for 14, Symington made 41 before the third wicket fell at 89.

None of the other bats were able to make any real impression on the Tillside attack and, with Cameron McGregor taking four wickets and Alan Hindmarsh three, the home side succumbed at 155 all out in the 46th over.

Tillside 2nds beat Bates Cottages 2nds by 206 runs.

Skipper Jamie Pick chose to bat first but Tillside unfortunately lost Kieran Bullen early on. However, Keith Bickerton and Dave Reay got a solid partnership before it was broken when Bickerton was given lbw for 32. In came Ronan Atkinson and he and Reay batted well together before Reay was given out to a controversial lbw on 39.

Ian Sim attacked the bowling, hitting three sixes before going for one too many and being caught out on the boundary on 36.

In came the skipper who got a quick cameo of 20 before mistiming one and being caught. While all this was happening, Atkinson was still there and was batting freely at the other end, eventually passing 50 with ease, and he went on to make a fine unbeaten 81 as Tillside finished on 238-6.

Tillside then quickly dismissed Bates for 32 all out in 10.4 overs with Danny Caddick getting his first five-wicket haul.

In the Northumberland League, Warkworth 1sts went down to a nine-wicket defeat at the hands of Backworth.

Chris Glass hit 61, Ian Clough 34 and William Pringle 23 as Warkworth made 151 all out, with Chris Liddle taking 6-29. Ben Sutton hit 81 not out and Mark Minto an unbeaten 53 as Backworth passed their target in 29 overs.

Alnmouth & Lesbury suffered a one-wicket home defeat at the hands of Monkseaton 2nds. Graeme McDonald hit 58 and Mick Williams 49 as Alnmouth put on 172-9 in their 40 overs with Andrew Sims taking 5-37.

Monkseaton went on to make 176 in reply, winning the match in the 39th over.

Warenford, who again only fielded ten players, lost by seven wickets on their trip to Kirkley.

Michael Thompson top-scored with 34 as Waren were all out for 174 in 41 overs.

Wooler raced to a comfortable nine-wicket home win over Tynemouth 3rds.

The visitors batted first, but with Andrew Aitchison and Robert Matthewson taking four wickets apiece, before Angus Todd polished off the tail with two wickets in his first over, they were all out for only 65 in little over an hour with opener Geoff Simpson their top scorer on 23.

Wooler then rattled off the runs required with the loss of only one wicket, Les Porteous making 29 not out.

Rock recorded a big eight-wicket win over Warkworth 2nds at home. Joseph Leddy hit 74 not out for Warkworth in their innings of 156-6, with Oliver Page and Kieran North taking two wickets apiece.

In reply, Rock lost Page for a duck, but North hit 30, with Roderick Bell (41 not out) and Andrew Bottimer (71 not out).