Mixed results as young fighters do their club proud on trip down south

Two fighters from Alnwick Amateur Boxing Club gave good accounts of themselves in bouts in Bristol last weekend, with one coming away victorious and the other unlucky not to win.

Jamie Scott, 14, tasted glory in his first fight with a punch-perfect performance, forcing a third-round stoppage of Siyanda Simelane.

It was rich reward for the boxer who stuck to his instructions from the opening bell.

In the first round, Jamie set out his stall with simple left-right combinations to control the early exchanges.

The Alnwick fighter was asked to step up a gear by executing four-punch combinations from range, and Jamie duly delivered.

Such was his display, it looked as though he could force a stoppage.

The pressure paid off when he forced a standing count just before the bell.

Jamie increased the intensity further still in round three and it paid off; the referee stopping the fight.

Chairman of the club, Gary Pattinson, paid tribute to Jamie’s display.

He said: “I am very impressed with Jamie’s very seasoned performance.”

It could, and should, have been the same outcome for Craig the Rocket Robinson.

The youngster seemed to win the fight, but the judges ruled in his opponent’s favour.

It was a disappointing outcome for the Rocket, considering he boxed well against the unbeaten Luke Saward.

In the first round, Craig applied the game plan perfectly.

The Rocket is a compact fighter and approached the bout with calculated pressure and good defence with explosive bursts.

Using this technique, which he is developing all the time, he seemed to edge ahead.

In the next round, he increased the pressure and the frequency of his attacks as per instructions.

He did, however, give his opponent a bit too much breathing space at times that allowed him to throw long-arm shots that Craig took on the arms and gloves.

There were some concerns that the judges could see these shots as scoring shots, instead of noticing they were blocks, so Craig, also 14, was instructed to force the last round.

His strength caused his opponent a lot of trouble and did some damage.

After the bell, Luke Saward’s corner signalled to the Alnwick camp that the Rocket had got the decision.

However, the judges awarded a majority decision to Luke.

Gary said: “Craig clearly won the fight, but lost the decision.

“I can only assume that the judges had scored the shots that Craig had defended on his gloves as scoring shots.

“But that’s boxing and both lads took great experience from the trip.”

The club is keen to arrange a rematch at its home show on April 23, at Alnwick Castle.