Lions repel the marauding Vikings

Whitley Bay Rockcliff Vikings...12 Alnwick Lions...50

ON a cold bright afternoon at the coast, Alnwick started well after Rockcliff punted the ball long downfield.

Captain Chris Kirtley collected and, with a scintillating 40-yard break, released Scott, who was tackled just short of the line.

After the resultant Rockcliff scrum Alnwick’s superb scrum-half Simon Ord showed real sharpness by pick-pocketing the ball and darting over to score. Willcox converted (7-0).

After a crunching Lions scrum on half-way, ignoring the handbags from Angus, the ball was very quickly spread across the back division for centre Horsley to spot the gap and fly through to score. Simon Ord hit the upright with conversion (12-0).

Rockcliff were not going to take the pressure lying down and ran the ball back straight at the Lions but came up against some ferocious tackling by the fiery midfield of Rob Ord, Willcox and Horsley.

Rockcliff attacked down the right-wing and, after an altercation at a ruck, Simon Ord was shown the yellow card for stamping.

This galvanised the home side and, from the resulting penalty, they used their extra man to good effect by sensibly drawing the defenders in before throwing it out wide for their outside-centre to canter in unopposed. Conversion missed (12-5).

Simon Ord was allowed back into the fray but Willcox went off injured, with the powerhouse Telfer on as a replacement.

A clever kick over the top by the Rockcliff fly-half caught Pratt out of position for the pacy home winger to run in a try, which was converted (12-12).

The Lions attacked through a great run from the Horse then onto Pratt, who went into contact and set the ball up nicely for a stray pass to find its way to the dangerous Scott, who picked the ball of his bootlaces and broke a tackle (17-12). The conversion was missed.

The second half started with a very determined Lions throwing themselves into attack with the impressive Green unlucky to lose the ball forward right on the try-line.

The Lions hammered the ensuing scrum with Matthewson picking up the ball to set the drive. It was pinged out to Horsley who had picked a cracking angle to score his second try of the afternoon. Simon Ord converted (24-12).

After an Alnwick line-out on half-way, Simon Ord went on an exhilarating run, beating four defenders before releasing his older brother Rob to apply the finishing touch. Simon Ord converted (31-12).

After more Lions’ heavy pressure had them camped down into the home side’s 22 and after another dominant scrum, Simon Ord again slipped his way over for his second, which he converted (38-12).

Danny Clayton went on his second remarkable 50-yard run (not bad for a prop) to set up another Lions attack.

From a scrum at halfway, the ball made its way across to Scott at outside-centre to go on a fantastic mazy run. He went right along the halfway line before straightening up and storming up the left-flank for the third Lions player to bag a brace of tries.

Simon Ord again hit the woodwork with the conversion (43-12).

After a strong Rockcliff attack was repelled, the Lions swept down the right-flank, with winger Graham, sporting a dazzling pair of white boots, putting through Jolley to smash and bash his way over to make it 48-12.

Simon Ord converted (50-12).

A very accomplished performance from the classy Lions against a strong Rockcliff side. Special mention to the referee who had a very good game.

Man-of-the match: John Horsley.