Lions hunt in packs to sweep Warriors aside

Alnwick Lions...43

Wallsend Warriors...0

ALNWICK’S third string won the toss in the first round of the cup and elected to battle up the hill in the first half at Wallsend on Saturday afternoon.

Expecting a long half, Alnwick set their stall out and tried to stretch the substantial Wallsend forwards and fly-half by running the ball at every opportunity.

The Wallsend number eight was penalised for a cowardly shoulder charge on Horsley, Alnwick kicked the penalty for a line-out.

A strong drive by the forwards into the Warriors 22 fed Bremner, who threw a missed pass to White, outside to Pratt and back inside for Bremner to score in the corner. The conversion was missed (5-0).

Full-back Kirtley was getting plenty of work as Wallsend sent a number of towering kicks downfield to try to gain territory.

Alnwick’s forwards were working really hard with Lundy and Neil impressing.

The referee was soon getting fed up with Wallsend’s efforts to slow the ball and their second row was shown the yellow card for persistent fouling, five metres short of the line.

Alnwick requested a scrum and the powerful Alnwick pack shoved over for number eight Strother to score, with the conversion missed (10-0).

Half-time arrived with Alnwick pleased with their efforts and looking forward to taking advantage of the hill in the second half, especially wheezy second row Clark.

Alnwick failed to kick the required 10 metres at the restart.

Wallsend asked for a scrum at half-way, but Alnwick won it against the head for Jolley to come through, clatter the scrum-half and kick ahead. He then chased, picked up and crashed through a tackle to score. Bremner converted (17-0).

From the restart, Angus made good yards receiving. The ball was fed across to Kirtley and lovely hands from prop Lundy set Pratt through. It went back inside to Bremner for Horsley to score a superbly worked try. Bremner converted (24-0).

A Wallsend penalty resulted in Alnwick stealing the line-out for a Roberts box-kick, Jolley chased the ball down again and kicked ahead to run through and score his second try, this one unconverted (29-0).

Alnwick were now attacking at will and another flowing move had winger Graham dashing down the line, with Lundy supporting but unfortunately the pass went to the grateful Wallsend fly-half who cleared.

This time, Alnwick attacked down the left-flank. Bremner skipped tackles right across to the opposite wing and, with great hands, moved the ball inside to Kirtley then back outside for the eager Graham to step in off his wing to show Russell Grant a thing or two by dancing past two defenders to score under the posts. Bremner converted (36-0).

Wallsend came back strongly at Alnwick and, when replacement Hunter was penalised, they had a tap penalty from five metres. Their second row came flying through, only to run into a thundering tackle from Lundy and coughed the ball up, Alnwick swept down the pitch via Jolley, with the ball spinning across the back division again, this time for Roberts to jink inside to score. Bremner converted (43-0).

This was a very impressive performance from one to 15, Alnwick looking a dangerous outfit.

Man-of-the-match: M Jolley.