It may be August, but the majority of fixtures still fall foul of the weather

Across north Northumberland, there were very few games of cricket that were completed over the weekend due to the weather.

And in what has been a rather cool August, the rain arrived as well on Saturday, putting paid to most of the matches in the leagues featuring county sides.

Play got started at Alnmouth in Division A1 of the Northumberland and Tyneside Senior Cricket League as the firsts hosted Ashington, with the visitors reaching 100-1 when the game was called off.

Given the scoreboard, this may have been a relief for the Seasiders, who sit third bottom in the table with just four games to go.

In Division A2, Alnwick I, faring rather better in sixth position, also began their clash with Cowgate Sports, who were 81-3 when the proceedings were called to a close.

Andrew Scott (2-40) had both openers caught before David Wright (1-6) had another batsman stumped.

In Division Two, the seconds managed to complete their match down at Riding Mill, but unfortunately the day ended in defeat for the north Northumbrians.

Losing the toss, Alnwick struggled to make in-roads into the Cowgate batting line-up as opener Yassir Baig scored 80 and there were also useful knocks from S Chaudry (35) and Majid Ali (39) in a total of 205-4.

Pick of the Alnwick bowlers was Michael Blackburn with two wickets for 17.

In reply, it was agonisingly close as several batsmen played useful innings with the pick of the bunch being Andrew Wright’s 44 not out.

He was supported by Peter Matthewson (37) and Kyle Hollingworth (23) among others, but in the end Alnwick fell four runs short, closing on 201-8 in a restricted 36-overs-per-side match.

In the same league, Alnmouth twos didn’t have to worry about the weather as rivals Morpeth II conceded the game.

The Seasiders are currently top of the league, although it is looking a bit more precarious for Alnwick, who are just 12 points and one place from the foot of the table.

In the Premier Division of the Northumberland Cricket League, all bar one of the matches was abandoned.

The abandonment won’t have been welcomed by Warkworth, who remain rooted to the bottom of the table and desperately need to pick up some points, and fast.

The game that did make it involved fellow north Northumberland side Tillside, who lost by 42 runs as they hosted the side sitting one place above them in second going into the day – Blagdon Park.

Batting first, the visitors managed to score 171-6 off a reduced 42 overs, in large part thanks to opener David Gibson’s 47 and 29 not out down the order from Matthew Senior.

In reply, Tillside didn’t manage to make it close as they were bowled out for 129 inside 34 overs.

There was dogged resistance from Toby Culham (28) and Jake Birkett (38), but there was very little support from the rest of the batsmen, many of whom failed to make double figures.

Alistair Clark, who took four for 44 runs, did most of the damage for Blagdon.

In Division Three, there were still a number of games called off or abandoned, but three did go ahead, leading to victories for Tillside II, Rock and Warenford.

Tillside travelled to Howick and through very tight bowling managed to limit the home side to just 109-8 in their 40 overs.

Much of the praise must go to Craig Robertson (3-18) and Kevin Logan (3-11), but all of the bowlers were very economical – John Weatherhead bowled 10 overs for just 15 runs.

In reply, the visitors didn’t lose a wicket, making it to 110 thanks to 41 from Keith Bickerton and 46 from Jamie Pick for a 10-wicket win.

Rock (97-8) won away at Embleton (78) in a low-scoring affair, while Warenford (174-2) beat Wooler (129) by 45 runs.

Warenford’s Brian (90) and Kevin (69) Thompson did the damage with the bat before Ian Patterson took seven wickets for just 36 runs.