High fives in exciting draw

Share this article

Durham City I 5 Alnwick I 5

North Hockey Women’s League, Division 2 North East

Alnwick travelled to Durham for their first league game since before Christmas.

Alnwick were clearly a bit rusty as Durham quickly appeared on the scoresheet with two goals within minutes of each other from penalty corners.

Durham managed to get another goal and took advantage of Alnwick not being awake.

Twenty minutes into the game, Alnwick awoke and started playing hockey.

Some slick one-twos from the defence through to midfield saw Alnwick pile some pressure on.

A free-hit at the top of the D gave Cook an opportunity to drive into the circle, lift the ball past the defender and have a clear strike at goal.

Heads were lifted and Alnwick began to fight.

Movement from left to right from Horn, Allan and Oates created play for Pettifer and Murray to scare the Durham defence with some deadly attacks.

Unfortunately, a quick break from Durham allowed another goal to slip through, leaving it 4-1 at half-time.

After a rattling team talk from Richardson and Fenwick, Alnwick were fired up and ready to fight back.

They were straight on the attack, giving Reed, Pettifer and Murray more chances at goal.

After a superb cross into the D from Oates, Murray was there to sweep the ball into the net, closing the gap once more.

Shortly after, Alnwick received a penalty corner and a straight strike from Cook closed that gap some more, making it 4-3.

This encouraged Alnwick to attack even more, but gave a chance for a nippy forward from Durham to sneak another goal for 5-3.

Time was running out and Alnwick were aware of it.

Play from Payne and Richardson kept the ball in their attack, giving Allan, Horn and Young chance to push the ball up to the forwards.

Some advanced play in the D saw Brown and Pettifer attack the ball then slip it to Horn, who was waiting at the post to slam it to the backboard (5-4).

The gap had closed once more and, with five minutes to go, the pressure was on.

With one last effort from everyone, another free-hit gave Cook the chance to drive into the D again, creating a hard angle, but she managed to score (5-5).

Not giving up, Alnwick kept up the level of play and strived for a sixth goal, with close calls from Pettifer and a wide shot from Murray.

The final whistle blew ending the game at 5-5. A great effort from the team.