Wooler slip up to surrender top spot

Sportsworld North Northumberland League round-up

Division One

Belford...3 Wooler...1

IN a closely-fought match, Jack Strangeways gave Wooler an 11th minute lead.

Belford came back to equalise before half-time thanks to a 30th minute strike from Neil Jefferson.

The second half was again close but after an hour, Ryan Lillico added a second for Belford with Neil Jefferson netting a third one minute later.

Wooler came close to adding a second but the shot rebounded off the crossbar.

Berwick Utd...4 Embleton WR...3

EMBLETON got off to a dream start as Bobby Greenley gave them the lead with just six seconds played.

Paul Wood equalised for Berwick but, with 42 minutes played, Stephen Shendon scored a second for Embleton.

The lead was short-lived as Mitchell Simpson netted a second for Berwick just before half-time.

In the second half, Embleton went ahead for the third time through a 68th minute goal from Greenley but again Berwick came back to equalise after 75 minutes with a second for Wood.

Berwick went on to take the points when Wood completed his hat-trick with a goal in the final minute.

Tweedmouth Harrow...6

Stobswood Utd...7

IN what was quite an entertaining game, the teams shared four goals to see it all-square at half-time.

Nine more goals came after the break, with Stobswood just edging it at the final whistle.

Johnny Gill and John Blythe netted two each for the Harrow, with Andy Burgon and Stephen Kerr also scoring, but a five-goal blast from Lenny Lansbury and one each for Andrew Neil and Stephan Tweddle gave the visitors a narrow win.


Longhoughton Rangers...2

ROTHBURY took three welcome points from this game as a hat-trick from Mitchell Ramsay and a Michael Old goal proved enough to beat Longhoughton, whose two replies came from Danny Sykes and Gary McDonnell.

Division Two

Alnmouth Utd...2 Craster Rovers...3

CRASTER’S late show stole the points from neighbours Alnmouth who, as 90 minutes approached looked set to double their points tally for the season so far.

The home side’s first-half dominance resulted in only a slender 1-0 lead at the interval after Craig Rutherford drove home from close range beyond the far-post following Scott Fulton’s deep free-kick delivery.

Straight after the turnaround, Craster were back on level terms when Johnny Clark set Edwin Gillon away down the right before his strong run and low drive beat Russell Stalker at the near-post (1-1).

Alnmouth’s advantage was restored on 70 minutes when Ron Murray’s header from a Liam Roper corner was saved but not held by keeper Nicky Smart and when the scrambled ball fell to Adam Harris seven yards out, he rifled a low shot through a gap in the massed defence (2-1).

The best opportunity to seal the points was created and missed by Rob Morton, whose volley cleared the angle although it still seemed the home side was likely to hold onto victory as the clock ticked down.

But Craster had other ideas and their determination was rewarded when livewire Lee Charlton reacted before his opponents to sweep the ball home at the near-post to equalise (2-2).

Forced back on the offensive, Alnmouth pushed up but were caught out again as Mark Jones broke down the left and, apparently too far wide and distant to threaten, produced an inch-perfect chip to seal the points deep into injury-time (2-3).

North Sunderland...4

Tweedmouth Rangers...4

IN an end-to-end game, North Sunderland had the wind at their backs during the first half and goals from Carl Avery and Ross Stanton gave them the lead at half-time.

Play continued to flow during the second half and, although Avery got a second and Richard Stanwix scored, the visitors took a share of the points thanks to goals from Rudy McLeod, Lee Dodd, Peter McGaskill and Craig Todd.

Alnwick Town U21...6

Hedgeley Rovers...1

BOTH teams played some good football in just about perfect conditions during the first half with Alnwick netting three times before the half-time whistle.

The second half was much the same with John Steele scoring for Hedgeley and Alnwick netting three more before the final whistle. Goal-scorers for Alnwick were Danny Donohoe with a hat-trick, Judd Donohoe, two, plus a Regan Turnbull goal.

Amble St Cuthbert...1

Bamburgh Castle...10

A JAMES Scott free-kick gave Amble a rare goal and the lead in the game but after that things went downhill as the visitors netted 10 times before the final whistle.

Johnny Love and Dan Johnson both hit hat-tricks while single goals came from Alastair Baillie, Anthony Jones, Johnny Moffet and Johnny Johnson.

Match sponsors: Queen Street Convenience Store. Match ball sponsor and hospitality: Radcliffe Club.

Shilbottle CW Res...0

AFC Newbiggin...17

SHILBOTTLE were only four goals behind at half-time but the second half turned out to be a nightmare as the visitors turned up the heat to net 13 times before the final whistle.

Johnathan McAnaney and Tony Messenger netted four each, Kevin Halliday hit a hat-trick, Colin McLelland and Mason Armstrong bagged two apiece with Alan Thain and Ryan Pollard also on the scoresheet.


Division One: Belford 3 Wooler 1; Berwick Utd 4 Embleton WR 3; Tweedmouth Harrow 6 Stobswood Utd 7; Rothbury 4 Longhoughton Rg 2; Springhill 0 Shilbottle CW 1.

Division Two: Alnmouth Utd 2 Craster Rovers 3; North Sunderland 4 Tweedmouth Rgs 4; Alnwick Town U21 6 Hedgeley Rovers 1; Amble St Cuthbert 1 Bamburgh Castle 10; Shilbottle CW Res 0 AFC Newbiggin 17.