Welfare showed no mercy at Belford

North Northumberland League round-up

Division One

Belford 0

Red Row Welfare 3

Red Row got off to a great start when a Paul Smith free-kick put them ahead on four minutes.

Adam Shanks added a second after 20 minutes before Kevin Bell capitalised on a horrendous mix up in the Belford defence five minutes later.

The home side did rally but couldn’t find a way back into the game.

North Sunderland 0

AFC Newbiggin 3

Title favourites Newbiggin were too strong for North Sunderland who did put in an improved performance in the first half.

Mick Angus put the away side in front before half-time, and after the break Ross Muter doubled the advantage.

North Sunderland’s best effort struck a post before Jonathon Macananey was allowed a free header to put the result beyond doubt.

Division Two

Shilbottle CW Res 3

Tweedmouth Rangers 4

Shibottle just lost out in a seven goal thriller.

Mick Brown put the Colliers ahead on 10 minutes, before Ross Aitchison levelled in the 20th minute.

Peter McKaskil put the visitors ahead 10 minutes later, half-time 1-2.

Chris Chisolm equalised for Shilbottle but Craig Todd hit back to give Tweedmouth the lead once again.

Wooler Reserves 1

Alnmouth 5

Alnmouth climbed two places off the foot of the table when they went put five goals past Wooler’s second string.

Laidler/Lancaster Cup

Rothbury 5

St Cuthberts 5

(aet Rothbury won 5-4 on penalties)

A Craig Sutton hat-trick and single strikes from Conor Mason and Jackie Angus took Rothbury to a penalty shoot out.

In reply for St Cuthberts a David Whenray brace and one a piece for Karl Taylor, Paul Palmer and James Hedley saw a tense finale in which Rothbury held their nerve to go through.

Lowick 1

Craster Rovers 0

In a game of few chances Johnny Haige kept his head to give Lowick the lead after five minutes, Craster keeper Browell did well to save a penalty in the second half and Craster appeared to equalize late on but Lowick did enough to progress.

Springhill 2

Berwick United 0

A tight contest saw both teams draw a blank in normal time.

In extra time Mark Lockart and Kyle Wood scored to put Springhill into the semi-finals.