Welfare find a way through Berwick defences

North Northumberland League round-up

Anderson Cup

Berwick Utd 1

Red Row Welfare 2

In a good, hard-fought game, Berwick went ahead after 10 minutes with a goal from Anthony Murray.

Red Row came back to equalise through a Paul Smith goal after 22 minutes and the score remained the same until half-time.

The second half was much of the same, but Red Row took the tie thanks to a 70th-minute goal from Kevin Bell.

Laidler/Lancaster Cup

Shilbottle CW Res 0

Craster Rovers 5

A poor performance from the home side sent them out of the cup in the preliminary round. Bobby Greenley put Craster ahead after 30 minutes, with James Thorpe doubling the advantage just before half-time. Shilbottle held their own until the 70th minute when Harry Woolhouse netted a third for Craster. Thorpe got his second on 75 minutes and Will Young completed the scoring in the final minute of the game.

Division One

Tweedmouth Harrow 4

North Sunderland 1

Harrow took the points and closed the gap on teams above them at the foot of the table.

Josh Dixon gave them a half-time lead and he completed his hat-trick after the break before a Ryan Thompson penalty saw the visitors pull a goal back.

Harrow made sure of the win when Callum Ferguson scored a fourth goal in the closing stages of the game.

Rothbury 2 Shilbottle CW 4

After an evenly-balanced first half, Rothbury led thanks to a 40th-minute goal from Ben Lamb. Shilbottle hit back to equalise after half-time through a 53rd-minute goal from Brad Wake but a Craig Sutton goal on 62 minutes restored the Rothbury lead.

The home side thought they had scored a third on 70 minutes but Jacky Angus’ effort was disallowed and two minutes later Stephen Shendon equalised for Shilbottle. After 81 minutes, sub Liam Brooks netted a third for Shilbottle and in stoppage time he scored his second of the game and Shilbottle’s fourth.

Division Two

Alnmouth Utd 2 Bamburgh 3

Alnmouth outplayed the league leaders in a spirited performance but still ended up without a point.

In a fast and furious first half, Judd Donohoe gave Alnmouth the lead before goals from Johnny and Daniel Johnson saw Bamburgh hit back to lead. Alnmouth equalised before half-time from a 35-yard shot by Brett Rogerson. Alnmouth put Bamburgh under pressure after the break but an own-goal by Reece Wright gave the visitors the points.

Amble St Cuth 1 Boulmer FC 3

Amble’s topsy-turvy season continued thanks to this defeat to Boulmer. David Baker had given Boulmer a half-time lead and, even though David Towler scored in the second half for Amble, Boulmer took the win with two further goals from Jamie Foster and James Whallis.