Weather still one of the winners

Morpeth Sunday League

Unfortunately there were no games played in Division One this week as the weather consigned both scheduled games to the scrapheap.

Amble Tavern’s home tie against Morpeth Chantry had to be called off, while the clash between Village Inn Longframlington and Bedlington Barrington Arms was also off.

In Division Two, Felton remain third in the league as they edged out Amble Blue Bell 6-5. On the scoresheet for Felton were John Angus, Michael Auld (two) James Jackson (two) and Peter Weddle with the Amble Blue Bell replies coming from John Robson, Gary Taylor, Johnny Spiers, Cameron Roper and James Henderson.

Sitting one point behind Felton and with a game in hand are Alnmouth Argyle, who followed up on their brilliant away win over Bomarsund two weeks ago by defeating North End Trap 3-1. Scoring for Alnmouth were Dale Kennedy, Ross Straughan and Dan Carey with the North End Trap response coming from Stuart Oman.

Blackthorn Rovers narrowly defeated HMP Northumberland 3-2 and moved up two places in the league from eighth to sixth in the process.

Notching for the Rovers were Alex Briggs, Kevin Rawdon and Sean Potts. Scoring for HMP Northumberlandwere Jay Flannery and Sean Morfit.

In the first round of the George Cave Cup, Division Two side East Chevington knocked out their Division One opponents Amble Dock Hotel 4-3 after extra time.

Amble Dock played almost an hour of the game with 10 men due to an injury and had scored a last-minute equaliser to force the tie into extra time.

On target for East Chevington were David Shepherd (two) Jordan Giles and Gary Reid with the Amble Dock responses coming from Dane Dawson, David Whenray and Timmy Young.

The second cup tie of the day resulted in a penalty shoot-out as Red Row gained a hard-fought win over Riverside Lodge with the game finishing 1-1. The Red Row goal was scored by Sean Palmer and the Riverside scorer was Nathan Williamson.

Red Row eventually triumphed 4-2 on penalties.