United’s games come thick and fast

Newcastle University...2 Lowick United...3

Northumberland County Women’s Football League

LOWICK played a midweek fixture away to the in-form Newcastle University, who had only lost twice all season.

Lowick started brightly against a very fit and organised team and pressed from the off. Amy Hately played her centre-forward role with power and pace, causing all sorts of problems for the Uni defence. She scored Lowick’s first after fine work from left-back Katherine Cass, who played an exquisite pass to set her free.

Lowick continued their pressing game and were closing and pushing the Uni back at every opportunity, Jenny Patterson and Kirstie Tang were particularly effective, covering every blade of grass. Tang doubled Lowick’s advantage in the 30th minute with another of her trademark shots from the edge of the box that cleared the keeper’s dive.

At half-time, Lowick brought on Georgia Thompson and Robyn Pick to freshen up the team.

Their young legs were able to pressure the Uni team and it was no surprise when Patterson bravely headed in Lowick’s third in the 70th minute.

At this point, Lowick seemed to be cruising but the Uni got a goal back in the 83rd minute after a slip at the back gave keeper Kris Weetch no chance.

This spurred the Uni on and they pressed for a second but Lowick held firm. In the 90th minute, a speculative shot beat the Weetch again for the Uni’s second goal.

It felt like a repeat of the last 3-3 midweek game but the final whistle was blown almost immediately to ensure a good win after a great performance.

Player-of-the-match: Jenny Patterson

Lowick United...2 North Shields...2

THE game against North Shields was to be Lowick’s fourth in 10 days but was the last for Lowick’s long-standing defender and captain for the day Jennie Brewis as she emigrates to Australia with her family on Sunday.

It was an emotional day for the team as Jennie has played for more than eight years and has been a mainstay of the defence.

Lowick started brightly with Michelle Stewart going close in the first minute, the Shields keeper doing well to block the goal-bound effort.

Shields are the draw specialists of the league, having drawn nine of their 17 games so far this season and were proving difficult to break down.

In the 27th minute, M Stewart started a mazy run that took on four or five players before beating the keeper to open the scoring for Lowick.

It certainly was one of the goals of the season although the bench were screaming at her to pass it before the wonder goal went in.

Lowick continued to press and use the wind advantage to full effect but were curiously quiet and sluggish coming into the break for half-time.

The half-time team talk was an attempt to raise the level of energy with the team, fearing that Shields were capable of a goal or two in the second half if the level dropped any further.

This proved to be the case with Shields changing their formation to overload the midfield, knowing that the wind would be a factor in moving the ball much higher up the pitch.

They scored after 60 minutes and pushed for a winner.

Shields scored a second with a great pass that split the Lowick defence for the forward to run onto and finish very well. Robyn Stewart, on the left of midfield for Lowick, ran herself into the ground in a bid to get the equaliser with support from Patterson and Tang.

Lowick brought on Robyn Pick to sit in a deep role in midfield to deal with the excellent running of the Shields forwards. With time running out, M Stewart made a run down the wing, finding Thompson in the box. Her persistence was rewarded with a fine finish from Sally Dawson to equalise for Lowick.

Both teams then seemed happy to settle for the hard-won point.

On the final whistle, Brewis was mobbed by her team mates before receiving a guard of honour that applauded her efforts for the club. The game was played in the right spirit with both teams giving their all.

Player-of-the-match: Jennie Brewis.