Trophy hunters


ALNWICK Town packed their trophy cabinet in the 1960s and early 70s with a bumper haul of eight Northern Alliance Championships, writes Jon Tait.

But the silverware had been gathering a bit of dust until the St James’s Park outfit lifted the Northumberland FA Senior Benevolent Bowl last season.

And they may be reaching for the Brasso again come the summer as a Tom Vickers double at Carlisle City saw them move four points clear at the top of the Premier League (match report, back page).

Gateshead Rutherford claimed three important points in their fight against relegation with a comfortable 3-0 win against bottom-of-the-table Cramlington Town.

Isaac Mitchell put the home side ahead on 15 minutes after Kevin Hay’s header was saved and Craig Horsfall fired home from the edge of the box to double the lead midway through the first half.

Although Town battled gamely in the second, it came as no surprise when Rutherford added a third as sub Eddie Keenan recorded his first goal for the club on 73 minutes after good work from Marcus Helson and John Dewhurst.

Murton slipped deeper into relegation trouble as they went down 3-1 at Wark. Matthew McLaughlin, Dale Telfer and Matthew Blackett were on target with Carl Garside netting the reply.

Seaton Delaval Amateurs needed a penalty shoot-out to see off first division Newcastle University in the quarter-finals of the Northumberland FA Senior Benevolent Bowl.

The match ended all-square at 2-2 after 90 minutes with Michael Robinson and Craig Johnson scoring for Delaval and George Coyle and John Addy netting for the Students. Delaval keeper Dave Herrington saved two spot kicks in the shoot out as Delaval won 3-0.

The Ashington Colliers goal took a battering from Blyth Town, but they went into the last four thanks to Mark Pattie’s early goal and Percy Main Amateurs joined them as Tony Browell’s 76th minute header was the knock-out blow for Ponteland United.

Hebburn Reyrolle moved six points clear at the top of Division One as Alan Pegram netted a 74th minute winner at Amble United. Shannon Forth’s 30th minute opener for Mark Collingwood’s unbeaten side was cancelled out by United’s Lee Harker.

Rob Watson and Garth Armstrong were on target for Cullercoats in their 2-0 victory over Peterlee, while Heddon had Daniel Robinson, Mark Hope, Kevin Irwin and Jason Pearson on the scoresheet in a 4-0 win at North Shields Athletic.

Morpeth Sporting Club were trailing Newcastle East End 1-0 at half-time but Scott Bowman hit four, Jonathon Harland two and Graeme Carter got in on the act as they ran out 7-2 victors and moved away from the relegation zone.

Bottom side Forest Hall went into the semi-finals of the Northumberland FA Minor Cup as they beat fellow First Division strugglers Stobswood Welfare 3-1 after extra-time. Matthew Smith, Michael Reay and Darren Henderson scored.

Gosforth Bohemians striker Josh Gow netted twice and Matty Atkin added the other in a good 3-1 win over Bedlington Terriers Reserves but Division Two leaders Newcastle Chemfica Independent were left red-faced as they suffered a cup shock, going out 4-2 at Blyth Isabella after goals from Michael Harrison and Alex Tooley had seemingly put them in control.

First Division Whitley Bay A had Sean Jobson, Alex Redfearn, Darren Reay, Marc Nicholson and Gav Hathrick on the scoresheet as they beat Tynemouth United 5-2 to go into the Minor Cup quarter-finals. Lee Garwood and Steven Matthews scored for United.

South Shields United crashed out of the Durham FA Minor Cup 3-2 at home to Sunderland Thorney Close Inn.

Shaun Edwards’ first-half goal was cancelled out by Swalwell’s Chris Smith in the 84th minute at the top of Division Two while Dan Haggerston scored twice for Cullercoats Custom Planet as they beat Red House Farm 2-1. Lee Johnson netted the consolation.

Nicky Hara’s 88th minute strike wasn’t enough for Seaton Burn as they went down 2-1 at home to Whitley Bay Town, while Willington Quay Saints’ Mark Henderson hit a double in their 2-1 win over Hexham. Liam Heenan netted for the Tynedalers.