Town win two on the spin under new manager Mullen

Alnwick Town FC news and match reports.
Alnwick Town FC news and match reports.



Steve Mullen made it two wins out of two on Saturday as Alnwick put six past bottom side Stokesley.

The game got off to a very slow start with the wind causing havoc throughout the entire game but taking a while to get used to.

Stokesley had an early chance, but with half an hour down Alnwick had their first opportunity and it was the one that opened the scoring. Rob Baker swong a low free kick into the near post. James Jackson flicked the ball home cleverly to put the visitors 1-0 up.

With 36 minutes down Alnwick looked to add a second. Hitting Stokesley on a counter attack Jordan Miller flicked the ball onto Lewis Robson. Robson hit the ball after one bounce across goal, but it couldn’t find its way inside the post.

Further Alnwick pressure paid off when they eventually doubled their advantage on the strokle of half-time.

Lewis Robson crossed towards Jordan Miller. The striker ducked leaving the ball to run nicely for Darren Riddell. He smashed home first time on the bounce to double Alnwick’s advantage and send them in 2-0 at the break.

It was a quick start for Alnwick looking for a third. James Jackson worked hard to steal the ball but when in a position for an end product he decided to cross instead of shoot.

With 20 minutes of the second half done Alnwick did grab a third. The Stokesley keeper threw the ball out to Clayton McDonald. The poor throw was then teamed with a heavy touch handing possession to Lewis Robson. He lobbed from range over the out of position keeper adding a goal to his earlier assist, 3-0 with 25 minutes remaining.

The fourth was added in spectacular fashion, Robson’s low free kick around the wall was spilled by the goalkeeper. Substitute Jamie Dixon was turned on to the opportunity, bundling the ball over the line just inside the post.

The fifth came via Tony Brown, who beat at least four Stokesley defenders. He then slotted calmly under the keeper who had flown out to try and stop the run.

Miller’s luck was still out as Alnwick went on the look out for number six, but the rout was completed with the last kick of the game,

Robson once again the provider with Brown running onto his cross. Brown flicked past a defender and hit a left foot shot into the floor and out of the reach of the keeper.