Town take over at summit


Shilbottle CW Res...0

Bedlington Terriers Res...6

SHILBOTTLE matched their Division One opponents during the first half but trailed by two goals at half-time.

In the second half, Bedlington were much stronger and scored four further goals before the final whistle.

Michael Grieves led the way with a hat-trick, Chris Dobey netted twice with Chris Taylor also on the scoresheet.


Longhoughton Rangers...0

Alnwick Town Res...4

ALNWICK took full advantage of Terriers’ cup match with an emphatic win which saw them jump to the top of the league.

They pressed from the start but the first half ended goalless.

Longhoughton found themselves down to nine men due to injuries after half-time and Alnwick took full advantage as Neil MacFarlane, Stephen Hutchins, Jakey Lowes and Paul Yeadon all netted for Alnwick.

Referee Keith Appleby received praise for his performance.


Tweedmouth Rangers...5

Longhoughton Res...4

IN a cracking end-to-end game, Steve Eamon and Peter McAskill gave Tweedmouth a two-goal advantage before Rory Wood netted straight from a corner to pull a goal back for Longhoughton.

McAskill got his second to restore the two-goal cushion but Wood scored his second of the game just before half-time.

A 30-yard effort from McAskill saw him complete his hat-trick but Peter Blacklock scored for the visitors.

McAskill then added his fourth of the game with Terry Ord scoring a fourth for the visitors right on the final whistle.


Belford...0 Berwick Utd Res...3

A CLOSE-range effort from Paul Hargreaves after 10 minutes, a shot rebounding into the net from the goalkeeper from Robert Curle on 15 minutes and a Michael Robinson goal after 35 minutes saw Belford behind at half-time.

The home team improved after half-time but couldn’t pull a goal back before the final whistle.

Bamburgh Castle...3

Alnmouth Utd...2

AFTER 10 minutes, a Dan Johnson pass played in Johnny Johnson and he ran through to score, giving the keeper no chance to save.

Sean Anderson volleyed from close range after 15 minutes to equalise and Alnmouth went ahead just before half-time when a long throw was headed home by Jamie York.

The second half was end-to-end and, after 75 minutes, a 25-yard effort from Johnny Love saw Bamburgh level and just when it looked as if the points would be shared Darren Egdell headed home an 87th minute goal to give Bamburgh their first home win of the season. Richard Robson was complemented for his handling of the game.

Wooler...5 Hedgeley Rovers...0

WOOLER secured the Division Two title with this convincing victory over their local rivals.

Although on paper this should have been a comfortable Wooler victory, Hedgeley did their best to spoil the party and for long periods Hedgeley defended doggedly.

It took Wooler 25 minutes to break the deadlock. Centre-half Tom Martin was on hand to score from close range following a corner. As Wooler pressed for more goals the Hedgeley keeper performed heroics to frustrate them.

Wooler did get another goal before half-time when Hedgeley scored an own-goal after a goalmouth scramble.

The second half continued in a similar vein, with Wooler pressing forward and their opposition stubbornly defending.

However, as the game wore on Wooler’s better fitness began to tell and Luke Strangeways scored two late goals, one a looping header, before his elder brother Jack converted a late penalty.

It has been a very successful season so far for Wooler led by Manager Mike Galloway, with a good team spirit and work ethic. With the league title now settled cup competitions now beckon.


Bilclough Cup (Round one)

Shilbottle Rs 0 Bedlington T Res 6.

Division One

Longhoughton Rg 0 Alnwick Town Res 4; Rothbury v Lynemouth Inst pp; Springhill 3 Shilbottle CW 3.

Robson Cup (Prelim round)

Tweedmouth Rgs 5 Longhoughton Rs 4.

Division Two

Belford 0 Berwick Utd Res 3; Bamburgh Castle 3 Alnmouth Utd 2; Craster Rovers 1 Embleton WR 1; Wooler 5 Hedgeley Rovers 0.