Town’s season drawing to a close

Alnwick Town...1 Northallerton Town...1

STL Northern League, Division Two

THE spoils were shared in Alnwick Town’s final home game of the season.

Chris Moffet’s chip cancelled out Northallerton Town’s first-half opener. The visitors were reduced to 10-men in the second period, but Alnwick were unable to make the extra man count as the game finished all-square.

Moffet was one of two regulars welcomed back into the St James’ Park side, Tony Brown being the other.

Northallerton had the edge in the opening exchanges and created the best chance early on when Gavin Parkin combined with Stephen Butterworth to beat the home defence, but Alnwick keeper Brian Brooks was quick off his line to block the shot.

Northallerton opened the scoring after 20 minutes. Parkin hit a pass straight across the box to find James Bowman, who tapped in at the far-post to give the visitors a well-deserved lead.

Alnwick went close to an equaliser just a minute later, when a Kieran Hogg free-kick tested keeper Stephen Craggs.

The home side were slowly coming into the game and tested Craggs on a number of occasions, with Jon Colley and Brown forcing the keeper into action. At the other end, Parkin tested Brooks with a header.

Just before the interval, Alnwick had two more attempts to level the contest, with Danny Lowes and Paul Hodge shooting wide.

Northallerton went into the break a goal to the good, but not long after the interval, Alnwick equalised.

Colley crossed to Moffet, who was clear of his marker and chipped the advancing Craggs to level the match on 50 minutes.

Shortly after, Northallerton were reduced to 10-men when one of their players was sent off for violent conduct. Colley went close to putting Alnwick in front on the hour, but saw his effort saved by Craggs.

Northallerton were being restricted to fewer attacks but the home defence still had to be aware and were nearly caught out when Parkin cut in from the left and hit a clean shot, only to see it hit the side-netting.

The closing stages of the game were played mainly in the midfield, but Alnwick nearly snatched all three points at the death, however the visitors were just able to scramble away the danger and the 10 men of Northallerton held on for a draw.

An unusual event took place after the game, as Northallerton asked for a penalty shoot-out to prepare for an important cup match.

Alnwick play their final Division Two match of the season on Saturday.

They travel to Chester-le-Street Town, kick-off 3pm.

Alnwick Town (v Northallerton Town): Brooks, Trotter, Hogg (J Lowes), Murray, McPherson, Patterson, D Lowes (Baston), Brown, Colley, Moffet, Hodge. Subs: Tait, Woodcock. Ball sponsor: Stephen Hogg (SGH Flooring). Match sponsor: Kitson Windows.

l Alnwick Town’s AGM is on May 20 in the clubhouse starting at 6.20pm.