Town on their way in cup challenge

Hexham...1 Alnwick Town Res...3 (aet)

Northern Alliance Amateur Cup, First Round

THE Reserves were on their travels, yet again, and after some good results away from home lately they were in a confident mood.

They started the brightest with Jake Lowes and David Davidson going close.

It wasn’t long before they scored when David Davidson played the ball through to Ross MacKenley, who got to the ball first as the home keeper came racing out and in doing so tripped up Ross and the referee awarded a penalty. Jordan Trotter stepped up to put it away into the bottom left corner, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Alnwick had a number of chances to extend their lead, John Colley going close with a header and Ross MacKenley beating the offside trap, but with only the keeper to beat, he rounded him a bit wider than he would have liked and in doing so the Hexham centre-half got back to clear.

Hexham were starting to get the bit between their teeth and were getting more into the game.

A defensive mix-up let in a Hexham forward but Gordon Saunders was out quickly to block and some good work on the left by the home team resulted in a shot just over.

Alnwick nearly pinched a second when Chris Kidd rose well at the back post from a Keiran Hogg cross, but the keeper just got his fingertips to it.

Hexham scored their goal when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the box. The ball flew over the wall and crashed against the bar and the Hexham right-back followed in as the ball came off the bar. With Alnwick static, he was left with a simple tap in.

This spurred Alnwick on and they enjoyed a spell playing some decent football, creating chances, with James Davison’s volley, from Ross MacKenley’s cross, straight at the keeper and John Colley’s header going just over.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic and Hexham nearly scored when they broke the offside trap but hit the bar. So it ended all-square and extra-time was to be played.

The match was flowing from end to end and it was Hexham who had the first chance when Davison hit a peach of a volley which seemed destined for the top corner, but the keeper flew to his left to tip it over.

Then it was Hexham’s turn again when the number nine was played in but shot over.

Alnwick got the vital next goal when Colin Bickerton played the ball out wide to Ross MacKenle,y whose cross was unluckily turned into his own net by the Hexham defender. This deflated the home team and Alnwick scored a third, five minutes from the end, when a long goal-kick was missed by the home defence and Ross MacKenley latched onto it to score.

Town’s game on Saturday is at Harton and Westoe, meet at 11.45am.

Town: G Saunders, Trotter, Lowes, Bickerton, Hubbard, Kidd, Tate, Hogg, Davidson, Colley, MacKenley, Hutchins, Davison, Makin, N McFall, A McFall, Dundas, Stephenson, Moffat.