Town move out of relegation zone

The Great Escape tune springs to mind.

Two crucial wins in four days lifted Alnwick Town out of the Northern League, Division Two relegation zone.

It’s been a long time coming. But long may it continue.

A massive 2-1 win on Saturday in the basement battle at Horden CW was followed up by a 2-0 victory over Tow Law Town on Tuesday.

These six important points came on the back of that last-gasp draw against Brandon United just over a week ago.

It’s a string of results which has seen Alnwick haul themselves above that dreaded dotted line, leapfrogging both Horden and Esh Winning in the process. And have games in hand over them both.

Of course there’s still a long way to go, and they’re not safe yet, but the great escape is well and truly on.

For the first time for many months, Alnwick can look down instead of only peering up.

The St James’ Park side climbed off the bottom and hauled themselves above the relegation zone – albeit on goal difference – in one fell swoop with victory over Tow Law Town on Tuesday night, coupled with Winning’s defeat at Birtley Town.

Tony Brown and Dan Thompson were the goalscorers in the midweek clash and it was no more than Alnwick deserved.

The hosts dominated the first period with Tow Law’s keeper denying Brown, Chris Moffet and Jon Colley.

The lively Thompson also went close.

In the 43rd minute, he became provider, setting up Brown to put Alnwick in front.

Just a minute after the break, Thompson grabbed the goal his play deserved, breaking past the back-four with a good run before slamming the ball home.

The visitors rarely threatened and Alnwick secured maximum points.

It came on the back of Alnwick’s victory over Horden on Saturday.

Before the match, Alnwick boss Paul Yeadon branded the basement battle a must-win game for the St James’ Park side. His troops duly delivered.

An 81st-minute Tony Brown goal was the match-clincher in this relegation scrap, as Alnwick built on their dramatic draw against Brandon United.

The first-half ended goalless, although Alnwick had chances to break the deadlock, including a Brown effort which hit the post. The St James’ Park side did put the ball into the net, but it was disallowed for offside.

Alnwick opened the scoring in the 47th minute. James Jackson latched onto a defence-splitting Brown pass to put the visitors one-up.

Horden made changes and looked more threatening, although Alnwick’s Tom Vickers’ had a header cleared off the line.

The hosts levelled on the hour-mark, but Alnwick weren’t to be denied, with Brown firing in a free-kick to win the game for the visitors.

Alnwick team (v Horden): Brooks, Makin, Catlow, Kidd (Tate), MacPherson, Pattinson, Brown, Lowes (Hall), Vickers, Thompson, Jackson (Lowes). Sub: Keenan.

Alnwick team (v Tow Law): Brooks, Makin, Catlow, Tate (Vickers), MacPherson, Patterson, Brown, Lowes, Thompson, Moffet, Colley (Kennedy). Subs: Hall, Jackson, Keenan.

Alnwick are at home to North Shields on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) and at Washington on Wednesday (kick-off 7.30pm).