Town bounce back from mid-week drubbing

Alnwick Town FC news and match reports.
Alnwick Town FC news and match reports.



Alnwick were desperate to make amends for the 6-0 defeat at Bedlington mid-week in the Northern League Cup when they faced Whickham on Saturday.

Whickham are a tough nut to crack at home as they have not dropped a point so far.

Alnwick had Club captain Tom McPherson and Ron Straughan rested prior to a three match week, including the Northumberland Senior Cup but included Jordan Miller, a new signing, on the bench.

The game started at a frantic pace with early showing from the home team when Mark Fitzpatrick crossed for Scott Swanson but fired over.

It was Fitzpatrick again with Alnwick absorbed the majority of the pressure and created a great chance after 15 minutes when David Brown collected a right wing cross and his shot was fumbled by home keeper John Mordey and managed to clear.

Whickham dictated most of the possession in the first 20 minutes without breaking the Alnwick defence. Alnwick started to take more control towards the half-time and both teams went hard at it to break the deadlock, but 0-0 was fair so far.

The second half started where the first finished, at a fast pace. Again both sides pushed and it was in the 55th minute when the deadlock was broken by Alnwick, and what a good goal it was.

Kris Willis sent over a great cross and Ross Gair to the left in the box hit a volley of which home keeper John Mordey was only a spectator.

Alnwick were being more dominant with attacks down each wing when Tony Brown sent a long ball to the right for Jamie Dixon to cut in and forced the home keeper John Mordey to make a fine save at the near post with his legs.

Whickham drew level when a move down the right by Ian Balmain cut into the box to hit a cross shot through a packed penalty area hit the far post and roll into the net.

Alnwick went into the attack and it was Josh Willis at the near post from Jamie Dixon went close.

Alnwick had two quick corners which the home defence was pulled all over for a cross to Tony Brown nearly resulted in Alnwick’s second.

The game was back and forth at a fast pace and Alnwick’s goalie Luc Glasper was called upon in the dying seconds to make a full stretch, one-handed save to push the ball over the bar from Mathew Atkin.

After the midweek drubbing this was a decent performance and result for Alnwick.