Top division opponents too hot to handle in cup

Shilbottle CW FC  in their new warm up gear supplied by Stone Homes
Shilbottle CW FC in their new warm up gear supplied by Stone Homes

North Northumberland League round-up

Bilclough Cup, Preliminary Round

Springhill 5 Shilbottle Res 0

The Reserves found their First Division opponents too hot to handle in the second half of this Bilclough Cup tie as they made their exit from the competition at the Pier Field, Berwick.

Springhill had the bulk of the play in the first half but Shilbottle defended well and a combination of missed chances and good saves from Liam Roper in the Colliers’ goal prevented an early breakthrough.

Shilbottle had chances of their own when Scott Muckle and John Mowbray both had efforts blocked on the line and Ross Jackson put a good attempt just over the bar.

The interval arrived with the game still goalless but the tide certainly turned as the second half got underway.

Three goals from Springhill in the opening 10 minutes put them in control of the game.

The Colliers almost pulled a goal back when Judd Donohoe broke clear only to shoot wide with the keeper to beat, but this was about as close as they came to a goal.

Another couple of goals in the last 10 minutes perhaps flattered the home side but there was no doubt that the best side won on the day as Springhill progressed and will now face the Colliers’ first team in the next round.

Shilbottle: L Roper, A Pringle, G Robson, D Dawson, K Lowes, S Muckle, W Gair, J Mowbray, R Cooke, R Jackson, J Donohoe, S Passey, W Allan. Shilbottle’s man-of-the-match: Judd Donohoe.

Newbiggin 11 Wooler Res 0

With Newbiggin at the head of Division One and Wooler struggling at the foot of the second, this result was not totally unexpected.

After taking a first-minute lead, the home team kept up the pressure to dominate the rest of the game.

Five-up at half-time, they kept the pressure on in the second half to net six more before the final whistle.

Johnathan McEnaney hit a hat-trick, Ross Muter and Josh Harem netted two each, with single goals from Colin McLelland, Nick Storey, Tony Messenger and Mick Angus making up the final total.

Division One

Belford 2 North Sunderland 1

After a closely-fought local derby, it was the home team who took the points and went to the top of Division One.

It was a game of few chances during the first half with North Sunderland having a goal disallowed.

In the second half, Michael Robinson gave Belford a 60th-minute lead following a mix-up in the visitors’ defence but North Sunderland hit back to equalise when Carl Avery netted from the edge of the area from a free-kick.

In stoppage time, a Michael Robinson cross was side-footed home by Ross Moore to give Belford their second goal.

Although, straight from the restart a Neil MacFarlane shot rebounded back off the Belford cross-bar.

Shilbottle CW 3 Tweedmouth Harrow 3

A penalty converted by Stephen Hogg after three minutes saw Shilbottle off to a good start but Harrow came back to equalise through Carl Ferguson after 20 minutes.

With no further scoring before half-time, Shilbottle regained the lead when Stephen Hogg beat the offside trap to run through and score and on 70 minutes the same player again broke clear to run through and net a third.

A deflected shot from Craig Anderson on 75 minutes saw Harrow pull a goal back and with three minutes remaining, a Josh Dixon shot was saved by the keeper, but he followed up to net the rebound and grab a point for the visitors.

James Durrant was praised for his refereeing performance during the game.

Berwick Utd v Rothbury, match postponed.

Division Two

Alnmouth Utd 3 Lowick Utd 2

Alnmouth came out with all three points at the end of a closely-fought game.

They went ahead on 20 minutes when John Spears ran through to shoot past the Lowick keeper and Alnmouth held the lead until half-time.

On 50 minutes, Lowick drew level when Gary Fairbairn netted from the penalty spot, but after 70 minutes, a home corner was only cleared to the edge of the area.

Jorden Frost shot home to restore the Alnmouth lead.

In the closing stages, with Lowick pressing, Brett Rogerson broke away to net a third for Alnmouth and with the last action of the match a Karl Chapman free-kick was headed home by Gary Fairbairn for Lowick’s second.

Bamburgh Castle 15 Amble St Cuthbert 0

Bamburgh Castle weren’t taking the Amble team lightly given improved recent form, however, a Gaz McCann hat-trick in the opening 15 minutes settled any nerves.

Chris Dalton made it four before McCann added his fourth,both assisted by Johnny Johnson.

Provider turned scorer when Johnson notched number six, with the lively Sam Aldred also netting soon after.

Dalton made it eight after a poor clearance, then nine just before half-time.

Aldred piled on the misery, scoring straight after the re-start. Steve Archer smashed in a penalty, quickly followed by a powerful Dalton strike.

On the hour Dalton was on target yet again before the impressive Johnson grabbed his hat-trick with two late goals both assisted by D Johnson to inflict a 15-0 defeat.

Bamburgh Castle: D Egdell, S Tanney, A Baillie, A Mackay, S Archer, W Farmer, D Johnson, S,Aldred, G McCann, C Dalton, J Johnson. Subs: K Leung, I Patterson, P Douglas, A Harrison. Match sponsor: Lewis Fish Restaurant.

Tweedmouth Rangers v Craster, match postponed.