The race is on for Division One runners-up spot

North Northumberland Football League news and reports.
North Northumberland Football League news and reports.

North Northumberland Football League round-up

Division One

Tweedmouth Rangers 5 Wansbeck 1

With Alnmouth United already having been crowned Divsion One champions, the race is on for the runners-up spot and Tweedmouth Rangers did their chances no harm with a convincing 5-1 over close rivals Wansbeck, which sees Rangers move up a place to third in the table.

Tweedmouth got off to a great start, with Graham Steele setting them on their way with the first goal after 15 minutes and another from Gary Robertson saw Rangers go in at half-time 2-0 up.

Michael Freathy pulled a goal back for Wansbeck early in the second half, but further goals from Sean Simpson, Robertson, with his second, and Ashley Pendrich saw Tweedmouth run out comfortable winners in what could be a dress rehearsal for next week’s Anderson Cup final.

Highfields United 1 Red Row Welfare 2

Red Row left it late after missing chance after chance before finally escaping with all three points against luckless bottom side Highfields.

Red Row dominated possession in the middle of the pitch, but found it much harder to string passes together in their opponents final third, misplacing several crosses and through-balls throughout the match.

Calvin Flanighan was unlucky to see his shot cannon off the post before Highfields shocked the visitors with a long-range effort leaving John Charlton with no chance.

Red Row pushed for an equaliser and had a strong penalty appeal turned down and went into hal-time 1-0 down and with frustration growing.

A similar theme carried on after the interval with the visitors seemingly doing everything apart from score. Dan Palmer cracked the cross-bar with a long-range effort and Josh Baston then hit the post before Darren Smith was clumsily bundled over in the box, but the referee waved play on with it starting to look like Red Row could play all day and not find the net.

As time was running out and Highfields closing in on their first victory of the season, Dan Palmer made use of being given licence to get further forward by popping up at the back post to head Red Row level, moments later he secured all three points with a low free-kick into the bottom corner.

Highfields were unlucky not to take anything from the game, but at the same time Red Row could have hit double figures on another day.

Red Row man-of-the-match: Josh Baston. Red Row match sponsor: Red Row Garden Hut.

Red Row squad: J Charlton, C Baston, M Smith, D Palmer, B Lilburn, M Anderson, D Shepherd, S Palmer, J Baston, C Flanighan, D Smith, L Baston, S Black, D Whenray.

Division Two

The championship and promotion places are still up for grabs with the top three being covered by two points.

Springhill 15 Embleton WR 0

Springhill did their goal difference the world of good with a crushing 15-0 victory over Embleton WR. Springhill’s goals came courtesy of Martin Bell, two, Michael Antcliffe, Chris Jenkins, five, and Paul Johnson, seven.

Alnmouth 1 Belford 1

Belford, who had been leading the division for most of the season, were held 1-1 at Alnmouth, where John Briggs had given the home side the lead in the first half, but an own-goal from Andrew Lazenby saw Belford leave with a point.

Lynemouth Anglers United 3 Amble St Cuthbert 2

In another surprise, league leaders Amble St Cuthbert were defeated 3-2 at Lynemouth Anglers, where goals from Darren Townsley, Scott Neill and Nick Storey saw Lynemouth produce their best performance of the season, with Amble St Cuthbert’s consolation goals coming from Liam Ramsay and Connor Straughton.

Tweedmouth Harrow 2 Craster Rovers 2

Tweedmouth Harrow and Craster Rovers shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw.

Johnny Blythe gave the Harrow the lead midway through the first half, but James Woolett equalised for Craster just before half-time.

Tweedmouth had most of the play and a penalty miss from Jordan Richardson on the hour saw the score remain 1-1 up until the 80th minute when Kurt Yule put the Harrow back in front with a screamer from 25 yards, but a late equaliser from Kyle Lowes meant Craster Rovers left with a hard-earned point.