Super six survive in the cup

North Northumberland Football League

NFA Minor Cup round-up

Of the 14 ties involving NNFL teams, six made it through into the next round.

Richard Brown was the Shilbottle scorer in their win over Athletico Metro.

Tweedmouth Rangers won by the odd goal in seven at Cramlington Town.

Alnmouth United went down to a three-goal defeat at home to Heddon St Andrew’s.

Craig Sutton was the scorer of Rothbury’s consolation goal as they suffered a heavy defeat by Blyth Isabella.

Berwick United and Red Row Welfare also went out of the competition following defeats by Fawdon Park and New York respectively but North Sunderland, with Neil MacFarlane and David Davison produced a great result to beat Bedlington Terriers after extra-time.

Nathan Short, Mark Lockhart, David Jardine and Chris Jenkins were all on target as Springhill beat High Howden.

Bamburgh Castle lost out after a 12-goal match away at Friends of Walker Burn School.

AFC Newbiggin were left disappointed after a defeat at Seaton Burn, while in an all-league clash, it took extra-time to settle the tie between Lowick United and Belford.

Darren Thompson had given Belford the lead, with Andy Metcalfe equalising after 80 minutes’ play.

It took until the last two minutes of extra-time before Neil Jefferson ensured the win for Belford.

Andy Burgon, Richard Coupland, Josh Dixon and Johnny Gill were the scorers for Tweedmouth Harrow as they beat Ponteland United Reserves.

Craster Rovers lost out at home to Cramlington United.

Boulmer FC conceded six times as they lost out to Kenton Bar Community.

Division Two

Amble St Cuthbert 3

Shilbottle CW Res 2

Amble St Cuthbert’s recorded their first ever home victory in their second season of local football with this narrow success at Beach Road, Warkworth.

Play was fairly even early on, with Ross Jackson missing a good chance for Shilbottle before St Cuthbert’s took the lead after 15 minutes.

Michael Brown then had a good effort turned past the post by the Amble keeper as the interval arrived with St Cuthberts still a goal to the good.

The second period began with Amble on the offensive and Michael Brown did well to clear a St Cuthbert’s effort off the line when a second goal seemed likely.

However, his good work was undone shortly after then he tripped an Amble player in the box to give away a penalty which Karl Taylor comfortably converted to put the home side two up.

Shilbottle finally pulled a goal back after 70 minutes when a good through-ball by Ross Jackson put Nick Moore in the clear and he finished well.

A cracking drive by Wayne Gair from 30 yards found the roof of the net.

Play was end-to-end at this stage but it was St Cuthbert’s who found the winner 10 minutes from time to record a memorable victory.

Shilbottle: L Roper, S Muckle, J Lewney, J Dixon, R Cooke, N Moore, M Brown, J Mowbray, W Gair, R Jakcson, J Donohoe, J York. Shilbottle’s man-of-the-match: Wayne Gair with Karl Taylor taking the honours for St Cuthberts.