Substitutions change course of game as Lowick take a tumble

Tynedale Ladies 4

Lowick Ladies 1

Lowick went into this game knowing that one point was enough to secure the league title and promotion.

Unfortunately, their fate is no longer in their own hands. If Tynedale win their remaining three fixtures then they will be equal on points and it will be decided on goal difference. With a couple of regulars missing, Lowick had to make some positional changes but they started brightly and dealt comfortably with everything the opposition threw at them in the first half.

Although neither side created many clear-cut chances, Lowick looked dangerous on the counter-attack and Michelle Stewart had a couple of shots on goal that were off target.

The Lowick defence were looking strong and Jodie Robinson and Steph Hay ably dealt with their opposing wingers.

Just before half-time, Lowick were awarded a corner and Kirstie Tang fired the ball across and, in the confusion, a Tynedale defender put the ball into her own net (0-1).

This was no more than Lowick had deserved and they went in at half-time more than happy with their first-half performance.

At the start of the second half, the gusty wind seemed to have died down and, in a 10-minute spell, Lowick played their best football of the match. Becky Robinson had the beating of her opponent full-back and twice crossed from the byline but unfortunately no one could latch on to the crosses.

In what was undoubtedly the best move of the match, a pass from Jenna Kerr fed Robinson on the left and she crossed, but the volley from Stewart just went past the post. As Lowick pressed forward in search of a second goal they won a corner and in the resultant scramble Robinson hit the post.

Lowick were in the ascendancy but could not convert pressure into goals and as the wind picked up Tynedale made a couple of substitutions that ultimately changed the game.

Tynedale pushed on an extra forward, Dixon, to go four-four-two and, using the wind to good effect, Lowick were pushed back. The inevitable happened and with 30 minutes to go Murray scored for the home team (1-1).

Lowick were struggling to clear their lines and shortly afterwards, Murray scored her second (2-1).

The Lowick defence struggled to deal with the strength of Dixon and when she cut in from the left and curled the ball into the net (3-1) and then set up Murray again (4-1), it looked like the Lowick heads would go down.

They were rallied by captain Jodine Bolton and, for the last 15 minutes, played with much more composure to see out the game. Despite the good performance for the first 60 minutes this was a disappointing result for Lowick Ladies.

Best on the day for Lowick were Jodie Robinson, Becky Robinson and Jenna Kerr.

The club thanked Travelsure for providing the bus that took the team to Tynedale free of charge.