sportsworld north northumberland league

Newbiggin v Rothbury'Action from Saturdays game, Rothbury in yellow
Newbiggin v Rothbury'Action from Saturdays game, Rothbury in yellow

Sportsworld North Northumberland League round-up

Anderson Cup, Semi-Finals

North Sunderland v Belford'Anderson Cup Semi-Final

North Sunderland v Belford'Anderson Cup Semi-Final

North Sunderland 5

Belford 4 (aet)

In windy conditions, Belford made the most of their advantage during the first half.

Asscot Hunter (two), Ross Morton, plus an own-goal put them in control of the game.

Andrew Robertson got on the scoresheet for the home side during the half and after half-time North Sunderland came back and sent the tie into extra-time through a second goal from Robertson and further goals from Ryan Thompson and Carl Avery.

In the first period of extra-time, Stephen Rutter gave the home club the lead. Although Belford pressed, some good defending from North Sunderland saw them through to the final.

Red Row Welfare 4

Shilbottle CW 2

Play was fairly even during the first half, but after 40 minutes, Phil Grey took advantage of some slack marking to put Shilbottle ahead.

A minute later, it got worse for the home team as Ali Turvey scored to double the advantage before half-time.

In the second half, Red Row made full use of the long ball and pulled a goal back on 48 minutes with an overhead kick from Sean Palmer.

One minute later, a long-ball from keeper Charlton found Adam Shanks and he scored the equaliser.

Red Row went ahead after 60 minutes when a Paul Smith free-kick found Jordan Giles, who fired past keeper Andrew Wilson and they made sure of the win when a break from Marc Nixon saw him fouled in the area with Sean Palmer converting the resultant penalty. Match sponsor: Shaun Common, Building Contractors.

Division One

AFC Newbiggin 2 Rothbury 2

Before the match, Newbiggin were presented with the Division One Championship Trophy by league president Les Chappell.

A battling performance from a determined Rothbury side nearly spoilt the occasions for the home club.

Newbiggin started strongly and failed to make the most of their chances and, with 15 minutes played, Rothbury broke and Ryan McGee scored to put them ahead.

A few minutes later, Mick Angus equalised for Newbiggin, but another break from the visitors after 40 minutes saw Craig Sutton net to see Rothbury ahead at half-time.

In the second half, Newbiggin had most of the play and had two goals disallowed before Michael Freathy equalised with a goal on 65 minutes.

Solid defending from Rothbury meant there were no more goals before the whistle.

Springhill 2 Berwick Utd 3

A better performance from Berwick saw them achieve their first league win of the season in the local derby at Pier Field. Darren Cromarty gave Berwick the lead with Michael Antcliffe equalising for Springhill.

A second Berwick goal from Simon Hargreaves gave Berwick a half-time lead.

In the second half, Craig Young scored a third for Berwick while a second goal from Michael Antcliffe was not enough for Springhill.

Division Two

Alnmouth Utd 1 Craster Rvrs 2

In a hard, physical game, Alnmouth went ahead after 30 minutes when Danny Donohoe was brought down in the area and he picked himself up to net from the penalty.

Alnmouth held the lead until the 65th minute when a James Thorp effort found its way into the net for the equaliser and Craster netted the winner on 85 minutes when Alnmouth lost possession and substitute David Hogg lobbed the ball back into the goal.

Lowick Utd 2 Boulmer FC 2

After a good game, both teams had to be happy with a point. Patrick Gritton had given Boulmer a half-time lead, but in the second half, two goals from Steven Fairbairn saw Lowick back in the game, with Sean Toal scoring a second for Boulmer.

Tweedmouth Rgrs 9

Amble St Cuthbert 0

Amble had no answer to a strong Tweedmouth side who continue to chase Bamburgh at the head of the table.

Gary Robertson gave Rangers a fifth-minute lead, with a left-foot volley from Peter McAskill doubling the advantage on 15 minutes. He added a third goal on 30 minutes, with Gary Robertson scoring a fourth just before half-time.

In the second half, Robertson completed his hat-trick following a 55th-minute free-kick to make it five and then Craig Walker got on the scoresheet with a goal after 60 minutes.

Lee Dodd made it seven with Grant Sharp netting an eighth goal after 85 minutes.

Just before the end, Craig Colouhoun scored his fourth goal in four games to round off the scoring.