Sportsworld (NE) Ltd North Northumberland Football League round-up (Saturday, April 4)

North Northumberland Football League news and reports.
North Northumberland Football League news and reports.


Tweedmouth Rangers 5 Wansbeck 1

With Alnmouth United already having been crowned Divsion One champions, the race is on for the runners-up spot and Tweedmouth Rangers did their chances no harm with a convincing 5-1 over close rivals Wansbeck, which sees Rangers move up a place to third in the table. Tweedmouth got off to a great start, with Graham Steele setting them on their way with the first goal after 15 minutes and another from Gary Robertson saw Rangers go in at half-time 2-0 up. Michael Freathy pulled a goal back for Wansbeck early in the second half but further goals from Sean Simpson, Robertson, with his second, and Ashley Pendrich saw Tweedmouth run out comfortable winners in what could be a dress rehearsal for next week’s Anderson Cup final.

Highfields United 1 Red Row Welfare 2

In the only other game in Division One, a Connor Davidson goal saw bottom-of-the-table Highfields United lead Red Row Welfare at half-time. This lead remained right up until the 88th minute but two late goals from Dan Palmer saw Red Row Welfare return south with all three points.


The championship and promotion places are still up for grabs with the top three being covered by two points.

Springhill 15 Embleton WR 0

Springhill did their goal difference the world of good with a crushing 15-0 victory over Embleton WR. Springhill’s goals came courtesy of Martin Bell, two, Michael Antcliffe, Chris Jenkins, five, and Paul Johnson, seven.

Alnmouth 1 Belford 1

Belford who had been leading the division for most of the season were held 1-1 at Alnmouth, where John Briggs had given the home side the lead in the first half but an own-goal from Andrew Lazenby saw Belford leave with a point.

Lynemouth Anglers United 3 Amble St Cuthbert 2

In another surprise league leaders Amble St Cuthbert were defeated 3-2 at Lynemouth Anglers, where goals from Darren Townsley, Scott Neill and Nick Storey saw Lynemouth produce their best performance of the season, with Amble St Cuthbert’s consolation goals coming from Liam Ramsay and Connor Straughton.

Tweedmouth Harrow 2 Craster Rovers 2

The final game in the division saw Tweedmouth Harrow and Craster Rovers share the spoils in a 2-2 draw. Johnny Blythe gave the Harrow the lead midway through the first half, but James Woolett equalised for Craster Rovers just before half-time. Tweedmouth had most of the play and a penalty miss from Jordan Richardson on the hour saw the score remain 1-1 up until the 80th minute when Kurt Yule put the Harrow back in front with a screamer from 25 yards, but a late equaliser from Kyle Lowes meant Craster Rovers left with a hard-earned point.