Six-shooters blast into second round of cup

Sportsworld NNL'Shilbottles Ali Turvey fires in a freekick v The Harrow
Sportsworld NNL'Shilbottles Ali Turvey fires in a freekick v The Harrow

Anderson Cup, Round One

North Sunderland 6

AFC Newbiggin 2

A penalty after 10 minutes saw Ryan Thompson put the home club ahead and the same player finished well on 20 minutes to double the advantage.

Newbiggin hit back and just before half-time Mick Angus pulled a goal back.

In the second half, two more goals extended the home lead before Tony Messenger netted a second for Newbiggin.

The home club were not to be denied and two late goals sealed the win. Ryan Thompson finished with a hat-trick, Andrew Robertson netted twice with Bobby Douglas also on the scoresheet.

Rothbury 1 Belford 2

In a good game, Rothbury trailed to a 25th-minute goal from Darren Thompson at half-time.

In the second half they hit the woodwork twice before Dan Heron equalised after 65 minutes. Belford came back and Michael Robinson scored the winner on 70 minutes.

Shilbottle CW 3

Tweedmouth Harrow 1

In a game between two evenly-matched sides, it was Kenny Collins who gave Shilbottle a 25th-minute lead when he beat the offside trap and ran through to score.

Harrow equalised on 40 minutes when Craig Anderson took full advantage of a defensive mix-up to score from close range.

The second half was fairly even until a Scott McMullen strike restored the Shilbottle lead.

Both keepers wer in good form with the visitors’ keeper saving a Phil Grey penalty after 80 minutes.

With 86 minutes on the clock, Collins again beat the offside trap to score his second of the game.

Division Two

Amble St Cuthbert 2

Alnmouth United 1

Amble continue to make steady progress up the table and after an evenly-contested game took the points at the final whistle.

For the second week in succession, a lobbed goal from James Hedley after 25 minutes gave the home side the lead, which they held until half-time.

Alnmouth came more into the game after the break and equalised when a defensive mix-up saw Ryan Taylor score.

With 65 minutes played, an Amble corner was headed home at the far post to see the home side keep their place in mid-table.

Boulmer FC 2 Wooler Res 2

After a match which saw Boulmer create, but fail to convert plenty of chances, they had to be content with a point at the final whistle.

Andy Geddis gave Boulmer the lead but Wooler came back to level with a goal from Tritan Jeffrey.

Mark Boyle then restored the home side’s lead before half-time but after the interval Jack Strangeways equalised for a share of the points.

Craster Rovers 4

Shilbottle CW Res 0

A much-changed Shilbottle Reserves met for the third time in a couple of months.

Shilbottle won the first two encounters but were distinctly second best in this game at the Windmill Field, Dunstan.

The home side were quickly into their stride and took the lead after 10 minutes through Barry Armstrong.

Two more goals from Armstrong in a five-minute spell around the half-hour mark put Craster well in control before the break.

The nearest Shilbottle came to a reply was an effort from Danny Donohoe that was parried by the Craster keeper but Jamie York put the rebound into the side-netting.

Craster led by three goals at the interval but the visitors improved in the second period and almost pulled a goal back when a Donohoe effort struck the crossbar.

However, Craster scored a fourth goal on the hour to all but settle the match and the nearest Shilbottle came to a reply was a fine strike by Wayne Gair, which was just turned over the bar by the Craster keeper as the home side played out time for a comfortable victory.

Shilbottle: L Roper, S Muckle, J Colgate, W Allan, A Pringle, M Brown, W Gair, J Mowbray, J York, J Donohoe, D Donohoe, R Cooke. Shilbottle man-of-the-match: Wayne Gair, with Barry Armstrong taking the honours for Craster.

Tweedmouth Rangers 6 Lowick United 0

The home side replade Lowick in second place in the division after a comfortable win in this local derby.

They got off to a good started when Craig Walker volleyed home after two minutes to open the scoring and with 25 minutes on the clock, a headed goal from Peter McAskill double the advantage.

Tweedmouth continued to play some good football after half-time and McAskill scored a third on 50 minutes with Gary Robertson adding a fourth on 6o minutes.

With 65 minutes played, Craig Walker made it five and with five minutes remaining, Peter McAskill completed his hat-trick and the scoring.