Seconds sweep Cowgate to one side


Cowgate II (36 all out) v Alnwick II (37-1)

ALNWICK travelled to Cowgate for their final away game of the season on Saturday in what turned out to be a comprehensive victory for the visitors after dismantling the hosts for just 36.

Returning skipper Stewart remarkably won another toss, his only action of the afternoon being to ask his opening bowlers Marty Grey and Chris Woods to get loose.

Cowgate started cautiously against some accurate bowling with Grey using the pitch rather than his renowned high full-toss.

The first wicket fell with the score on just five, with Kylie Hollingworth making a steepling catch look relatively comfortable.

Woods then claimed his second victim with the very next delivery, uprooting the off-stump of Foster.

The hat-trick delivery was safely negotiated by Singh, who provided the highest score for Cowgate, being just seven.

Grey then became involved in the action, claiming the next three victims, including a catch for Thompson and a another fine catch from Hollingworth, leaving the home side teetering perilously on 23 for 5.

This then became 23 for 6 and 34 for 7 when Woods bowled Ali and Dhar respectively.

Grey had M Ali caught behind to leave the opening bowlers sitting pretty with four victims apiece and the race for five was evident.

Grey appeared to be the winner having Murtaza caught behind, only to subsequently hear a heart-breaking cry of no-ball from the umpire.

Woods kept his foot behind the line and bowled Younis in the process, swiftly followed by the dismissal of Bashir thanks to a smart running catch from David Peberdy.

Cowgate had been swept aside by the opening pair for a paltry 36. Grey (4 for 20) and Woods (6 for 15) both finished with season-best figures, leaving the rest of the Alnwick attack with little to do other than stroll the outfield watching the wickets tumble.

Allen Thompson began the response with young Tom Lakey.

Alnwick immediately felt a sense of déja-vu from the previous week’s abandoned fixture when a monsoon-like downpour threatened the conclusion of the match.

After a 90 minute delay, players emerged once more, much credit going to Cowgate who remained keen to play.

Lakey provided Murtaza with an early scalp after he was beaten for pace, Richard Peberdy joining Thompson to comfortably knock off the remaining runs to leave Alnwick victors by nine wickets.

It was a comprehensive victory for Alnwick who will be looking to repeat the performance in the final game of the season at home to Backworth on Saturday.

The club would like to remind everyone that there will be a barbecue and live music for all after the completion of the game.

Alnwick II (37-1) beat Cowgate (36 all out) by nine wickets.