Rovers bounce back from shock start

Alnwick Pythons U10 1 Rothbury Rovers U10 3

U10 Premiership Cup

Despite starting this opening match in the worst possible way, Rothbury Rovers showed the right degree of grit and determination to bounce back to secure an opening cup victory against Alnwick Pythons.

The games was only seconds old when Rothbury conceded a goal of their own making. Playing the ball back from a centre, a misplaced pass inadvertently found an Alnwick player in space directly in front of the Rothbury goal.

Despite a despairing dive by Rothbury keeper Niall Murtagh, the resultant shot found its way in courtesy of the shin of Rothbury’s Hugh Dennis (1-0).

Rothbury weathered the early storm and looked to equalise. First, Gareth Rickaby drove a cross straight across the Alnwick area to Thorsten Robinson who blasted a shot just wide of the post.

Then, instigated by a strong challenge on the left of defence by Ben Caisley, Rovers struck back.

The ball moved to Hugh Dennis, who in turn passed to Rickaby. Running at the retreating Alnwick back line, he passed the ball further wide to Charlie Hall-Scope.

He showed a really cool head as he first beat his marker then looked up before rolling the ball into Thorsten Robinson’s path (1-1).

Back on level terms, Rothbury started the second half on the front foot. With Rickaby now leading the Rothbury front-line, Alnwick were unable to contain their pace and guile.

Gathering the ball from another excellent Hall-Scope pass, Rickany cut in from the right and accelerated towards goal. His shot was blocked but the rebound fell at the feet of Robinson, who calmly evaded two challenges before driving the ball home (1-2).

The momentum was now with Rothbury and moments later they added to their lead. Picking up the ball in a central position, Rickaby passed the ball into the bottom left corner (1-3).

Rothbury seemed to slightly relax and the Pythons tried to take advantage, but couldn’t fashion a clear goal-scoring opportunity.