Rothbury take advantage of hosts’ defensive errors

Sportsworld NNL'Alnmouth(stripes) v Amble St Cuthberts
Sportsworld NNL'Alnmouth(stripes) v Amble St Cuthberts

North Northumberland League round-up


Sportsworld NNL'Alnmouth(stripes) v Amble St Cuthberts

Sportsworld NNL'Alnmouth(stripes) v Amble St Cuthberts

North Sunderland 2

Rothbury 4

Rothbury played some good football throughout this game but it was defensive errors that cost the home team before the final whistle.

Mitchell Ramsay and Michael Old had given Rothbury the lead before Ryan Thompson pulled a goal back for the home side before half-time.

Rothbury kept up the pressure after half-time with Mitchell Ramsay and Steven Rennison both scoring, while Neil MacFarlane was on target for the home side.

Tweedmouth Harrow 3 Berwick United 1

Harrow took an early lead in this local derby through a Josh Dixon goal and doubled the lead before half-time when Jake Stephenson netted.

Harrow had plenty of chances during the game and had a goal disallowed with Colin Young netting for United in the second half to reduce the deficit. Harrow made sure of the points when Nick Moore added a third goal in the closing stages.

Red Row Welfare 2 Belford 2

Red Row started strongly with Bell and D Smith causing problems in the Belford defence, where Thompson and Tait coped well with high balls into the area.

The home club’s breakthrough came after 20 minutes, when Paul Smith stepped up to place a free-kick 30 yards from goal into the bottom corner of the net.

Belford came back and drew level when, after a rush of blood, home keeper Charlton pulled down Jefferson in the area. The penalty was confidently converted by Fraser Tait.

Red Row started the second half pressing forward and it paid off when a good run from Josh Baston was halted in the box by Kevin Greshon, with referee Peter Holleran making the easy decision to award a penalty, which was converted by Darren Smith, sending keeper Sinton the wrong way.

It was looking like a second win for Red Row but, with five minutes remaining, Belford grabbed an equaliser through Michael Robinson.

Red Row man-of-the-match: Sean Palmer. Belford man-of-the-match: Fraser Tait. Referee Peter Holleran was praised for his performance during the game.

AFC Newbiggin 1 Springhill 3

Newbiggin had plenty of possession throughout this game but were unable to apply the finishing touches.

Martin O’Neil gave Springhill the lead but Ross Muter equalised for Newbiggin.Before half-time, Johnny Sutheran added a second for the visitors.

The second half was fairly even until the final moments when Chris Jenkins netted a third for Springhill.


Alnmouth United 2

Amble St Cuthbert’s 3

Amble went ahead in the first minute thanks to a goal from James Henderson and within 15 minutes, they doubled the lead with a Gary Taylor goal.

Alnmouth pulled a goal back after 35 minutes when John Barlow netted from the penalty spot.

Play started evenly at the beginning of the second half but with 60 minutes played, Shaun Jobson scored following a goalmouth scramble to add a third for Amble.

On 70 minutes, Liam Jerrferson netted with a glancing header and, although Alnmouth pressed hard before the final whistle, they could not grab an equaliser. Amble held on for their first league win.

Lowick United 5

Wooler Reserves 3

Two goals from Jack McWilliams had given Wooler the lead and they held the advantage at half-time.

Early in the second half, Gary Fairbairn pulled a goal back for Lowick from the penalty spot with Stephen Fairbairn equalising shortly afterwards.

On 60 minutes, Kyle Jeffrey netted a third for Wooler with Stuart Payne equalising for Lowick. On 80 minutes, Gary Fairbairn netted his second penalty to put Lowick ahead and, with two minutes remaining, Alex Burdin scored Lowick’s fifth.

Boulmer 1 Bamburgh Castle 3

Goals from Dan Johnson and Gareth McCann gave Bamburgh the lead at half-time and in what was a pretty close game, Joe Eckersall pulled a goal back for Boulmer before McCann grabbed his second of the game to see Bamburgh head the table in the opening weeks of the season.

Shilbottle CW Reserves 2 Craster Reserves 0

Following a fairly even opening period, Shilbottle opened the scoring when Michael Brown’s inswinging corner was fumbled over the line at the back post by the Craster keeper.

Craster were unlucky not to draw level almost from the restart as a snapshot hit the post.

Scott Muckle then had to clear an effort off the line following a mistake by the Shilbottle keeper as the Colliers hung on to their single-goal advantage until the interval.

The second period saw Shilbottle quickly on the front foot and they doubled their lead on the hour. A good flick on from Ross Jackson saw Phil Grey race clear to make no mistake as he comfortably beat the Craster keeper.

Michael Brown then missed an open goal as the Colliers looked to settle the match but they held on for their first win of the season.

Shilbottle: A.Wilson, S.Muckle, G.Robson, W.Farmer, B.Balmbra, M.Brown, K.Elliott, J.Mowbray, P.Grey, K.Collins, R.Jackson, N.Moore, L.Roper, W.Scott. Shilbottle man-of-the-match: Andrew Wilson. Match sponsor: Mrs Enid Lowes (Shilbottle).