Rothbury spring extra-time win

North Northumberland League round-up


Rothbury...4 Springhill...2 (aet)

PLAY was fairly even in the first half but Springhill held the advantage at half-time with a goal scored after 15 minutes.

John Angus equalised from the penalty-spot after 46 minutes but Springhill hit back to score a second goal midway through the half.

A second penalty from John Angus after 85 minutes sent the game into extra-time.

In the first period, George Scott put Rothbury ahead and a goal from Michael Old after the interval saw Rothbury through.

Wooler...2 Berwick Utd...0

PLAY was end-to-end throughout the game, with the Wooler defence playing well to keep Berwick out.

Luke Strangeways followed up after a shot rebounded from the post to give Wooler a 10th-minute lead.

After 40 minutes, James Jeffrey doubled the Wooler lead.

In the second half, both teams continued to play some good football but there was no further scoring before the final whistle.

Belford...0 Shilbottle CW...2

THIS was a game in which Belford created plenty of chances but were left to rue missed opportunities as Scott McMullen netted after 36 minutes to give Shilbottle the lead and the same player scored his second after 60 minutes to put Shilbottle into the semi-finals.

Embleton WR...1 Stobswood Utd...0

AFTER a game in which the result was always in doubt, a Ross Mackenley goal after 20 minutes was enough for Embleton at the final whistle.

Stobswood were unlucky not to equalise after half-time when a Lenny Lansbury effort rebounded off the woodwork.


Tweedmouth Harrow...4

Longhoughton Rangers...2

HARROW were the much stronger team overall and took the lead in the first minute.

Mathew Sullivan equalised but a second goal saw Harrow ahead at half-time.

After the break, Mathew Sullivan got his second of the game but Harrow also netted twice as their recent run of form continued.

Craig Todd netted a hat-trick, with Robbie Skelly scoring the other Harrow goal.


Alnwick Town U21...5 Alnmouth Utd 1 (No result or report phoned in).

Bamburgh Castle...4

Tweedmouth Rangers...5

AFTER two minutes’ play, Tweedmouth netted following a free-kick to take an early lead.

On nine minutes, Johnny Moffet equalised from close range.

After 30 minutes, Bamburgh lost possession and the visitors broke and netted a second goal to restore the lead.

In the second half, a good finish from Johnny Johnson after 47 minutes saw Bamburgh draw level, but on 51 minutes, Tweedmouth netted a third.

A Johnny Moffett volley on 65 minutes saw Bamburgh level and they went ahead on 75 minutes thanks to a goal from sub Craig Dalton.

Rangers drew level on 78 minutes, after Bamburgh had a goal disallowed, and Tweedmouth broke to score the winning goal after 85 minutes.

Goal-scorers for Tweedmouth were John Patterson, Craig Walker, Craig Howard, Lee Dodd and Keiran Cromarty.

Shilbottle CW Res...0

North Sunderland...1

AFTER a goalless first half between two evenly-matched teams, the game was settled by a Carl Avery strike for North Sunderland midway through the second half.

AFC Newbiggin...1

Red Row Welfare...1

THIS game, between the top two clubs in the division, was also a tight encounter with few chances created.

The first half ended goalless but, after 55 minutes, Sean Palmer gave Red Row the lead.

Newbiggin had a good chance to equalise but it was put wide, but they did draw level after 75 minutes thanks to a header from Colin McLelland.

Neither team could find a winning goal before the final whistle so they had to be happy with a point apiece to keep it the same at the top of the division.

Amble St Cuthbert...2

Hedgeley Rovers...5

AMBLE twice held the lead in this game but couldn’t hold on until the final whistle.

An own-goal had given them a first-half lead but Hedgeley equalised just before half-time.

At the start of the second half, a long-range effort from Timmy Young restored the Amble lead but a defensive error saw Hedgeley draw level.

Gavin Duffill made some fine saves for Amble to keep his team in the game but, in the final 10 minutes, Hedgeley netted three times to take the points.

Goal-scorers for Hedgeley were Richard Johnson, two, with single strikes for Jordan Furness, Andrew Lazenby and Robin Sayers.

Match sponsor: Queen Street Convenience Store. Hospitality: Radcliffe Club.


Anderson Cup (Quarter finals)

Rothbury 4 Springhill 2 (aet); Wooler 2 Berwick Utd 0; Belford 0 Shilbottle CW 2; Embleton WR 1 Stobswood Utd 0.

Division One

Tweedmouth Harrow 4 Longhoughton Rangers 2.

Division Two

Alnwick Town U21s 5 Alnmouth Utd 1; Bamburgh Castle 4 Tweedmouth Rangers 5; Shilbottle CW Res 0 North Sunderland 1; AFC Newbiggin 1 Red Row Welfare 1; Amble St Cuthbert 2 Hedgeley Rovers 5.