Reserves climb to fourth


Wallsend Boys Club...1

Alnwick Town Reserves...3

ALNWICK got off to the perfect start when, in only the second minute, good work on the left by Jakey Lowes, Keiran Hogg and James Davison played in David Davidson and he crossed for John Colley to score (0-1).

Colley had a chance to grab a second when Neil McFall played him in but he shot wide.

Alnwick nearly added a second when Davidson fired a spectacular shot from 40 yards after spotting the keeper off his line, but the ball clipped the bar.

Wallsend got back into the game when the lively number nine had time to turn and pick his spot, curling his shot into the far corner (1-1).

The turning point came when a Wallsend player was sent off for swearing at the referee. This allowed Alnwick to get a grip of the game with a number of half-chances.

James Davison was unlucky not to score – a defensive punt was missed by the home defence, which allowed him in but the keeper was quickly out to save with his feet.

Alnwick still had to be on their toes against the 10 men as Wallsend were dangerous on the break and so it proved when Henry Woodcock had to be alert to save from the number 10.

Alnwick started the second half well with David Davidson hitting the side-netting from a McFall cross and Colley forcing a smart save from the home keeper.

Alnwick were making the extra man count and were playing neat, attractive football and it wasn’t long before they got their second when James Davison put in a cracking cross from the right for Johnny Colley, who rose well to put thumping header into the top corner.

Andrew Tate went close with a free-kick from 25 yards out but the keeper got down well to his right to save.

Alnwick’s third came from new signing Brad McLelland when he burst through into the box and, as the keeper came out to smother, he managed to get there first and get a shot away. The ball sneaked under the advancing keeper.

Wallsend nearly scored when a sloppy pass in the Alnwick defence let in the left-winger but luckily his shot went over.

Wallsend got a second player sent off 10 minutes from the end, again for swearing at the official.

A great result for the Reserves, which sees them move up to fourth in the league.

Next game, away, Hexham in the Cup, meet at 12.15pm.

Alnwick from: Woodcock, Trotter, Lowes, Bickerton, Dundas, Hogg, Tate, Davidson, McFall, Colley, Davison, Hutchins, Kidd, Makin, Stephenson McCann, McLelland.