Red Row win battle at the top

North Northumberland League review

Division One

Red Row Welfare 3

AFC Newbiggin 2

In a close-fought game between the division’s top two sides, Red Row took the points at the end of a good contest.

Sean Palmer had given Red Row the lead but Jonathan McEnaney equalised for Newbiggin before half-time.

In the second half, Sean Palmer netted his second to restore the home lead, but John Bone scored as Newbiggin again drew level.

Red Row scored the winner after 80 minutes when Paul Smith netted with a free-kick from 25 yards.

Berwick Utd 2 Rothbury 3

In a competitive game, Berwick went ahead thanks to the opener from Kane Laidlaw.

Rothbury drew level before half-time with a goal from Matt Crane.

The second half was again close but Berwick went ahead thanks to a goal from substitute Craig Young but a second goal from Matt Crane saw Rothbury draw level.

Rothbury took the points with an 80th-minute goal from Dan Herron.

Belford 2

Tweedmouth Harrow 1

Harrow were the better team throughout this game but home keeper Chris Sinton was on top form as Belford took the points at the final whistle.

Andy Burgon had given the visitors a half-time lead with a goal after 30 minutes but a good finish from Neil Jefferson saw Belford draw level after 70 minutes.

Harrow looked to have earned a point but deep in stoppage time, Gareth Pearson scored the winning goal for Belford.

Springhill 2

North Sunderland 1

Even though this was a scrappy game overall, both teams did manage to play some good football during the 90 minutes.

Kyle Wood gave Springhill a first-half lead with Ryan Thompson equalising before half-time.

In the second half, Springhill took the win with a goal from Paul Johnson.

Division Two

Boulmer FC 2

Tweedmouth Rangers 9

A below-par performance from the home team saw them suffer a heavy defeat at the hands of their free-scoring visitors.

Mike Leaton netted for Boulmer in the first half but it was the visitors who were ahead with three goals of their own.

Things didn’t get any better for the home team after half-time as Adam Sanderson did score a second goal, but Tweedmouth went on to net six more before the final whistle.

Peter McAskill was the main scorer as he netted five times. Craig Howard scored two with Lee Dodd and Gary Robertson also on the score sheet.

Lowick Utd 3 Craster Rovers 0

Lowick hung on to second place in the division but Craster will be wondering how.

Andy Metcalfe had given Lowick a first-half lead and in the second half, the Lowick keeper had to pull off some good saves to keep his team ahead.

On 60 minutes, Aaron Grieve netted a second for the home team and on 80 minutes Andy Metcalfe scored his second of the game to secure the win.

Shilbottle CW Res 3

Wooler Res 3

Shilbottle were always behind in this game but, at the final whistle, the scoreline was probably a fair result.

Wooler went ahead with a 15th-minute goal from Connor Cowans, with Thomas Hegney equalising after 25 minutes.

Steven Skeen restored the Wooler lead on 35 minutes but John Mowbray, with a 40th-minute goal, saw Shilbottle draw level.

The second half continued with play moving from end to end.

Wooler regained the lead thanks to a 60th-minute goal from James Guthrie.

Shilbottle grabbed a share of the points with an 80th-minute equaliser from Kenny Collins.