Rangers hit back with a vengeance

Longhoughton Rangers FC v Blyth Spartans.
Longhoughton Rangers FC v Blyth Spartans.

Longhoughton Rangers FC...10 Blyth Spartans...2

Northumberland Girls’ Football U15 League

RANGERS bounced back from last week’s disappointing cup exit to record a convincing win over Shield semi-finalists Blyth Spartans in a dominant display at Westfield Park.

The home side started well, Keech opening the scoring in the seventh minute with a powerful strike into the bottom corner after good work by Finney and Morrison. Spartans almost levelled through Simpsons’ long-range effort before Hutton threaded the ball through for Morrison to double the home side’s advantage two minutes later.

Blyth’s goalkeeper Cullen pulled off an amazing save to deny Keech on the quarter-hour mark, only to see the ball rebound to Morrison, the Rangers captain fine strike curling into the top corner from 25 yards.

Three minutes later Morrison turned provider, her cross finding Keech in space on the left of the penalty area, the winger finding the top right corner.

Spartans’ Witson proved lively and dangerous and it was the winger’s pace down the left that brought Blyth their first goal.

Bursting through the Rangers’ defence, her initial shot was stopped by Longhoughton’s Burn, but the goalkeeper could only pop up the ball into the air, and Witson made sure at the second attempt.

Keech’s classy finish on the 20-minute mark secured her hat-trick. Parry found the pacey forward wide left and sent the Longhoughton attacker on a mazy run through the Blyth defence before she calmly lifted the ball over the out-rushing goalkeeper from 10-yards out.

Ranger’s domination of the first half was complete when Morrison made it six for the visitors five minutes later, Wood clearing to the Rangers forward whose exquisite chip left Spartans’ Cullen stranded on the edge of her area.

Longhoughton continued to dominate the opening period of the second half, Keech adding to the scoreline with a tap-in from six yards after Morrison had picked the pocket of the Blyth right-back and fired the ball across the goalmouth.

Rangers made it 8-1 after 15 minutes, Morrison rolling the ball under the Blyth goalkeeper after good work by Smart and Wood, before Parry found the impressive Keech 25 yards out and the forward drove the ball across the goalmouth into the bottom far corner leaving the goalkeeper little chance (9-1).

Witson continued to harry and press for the visitors, but with little support. Her shot in the 56th minute proved easy enough for Burn to collect.

Spartans did create chances. Little and Brown both scuffed low efforts wide, before Brown seized upon a goalmouth scramble to fire home in the 60th minute (9-2) – no more than Spartans effort and endeavour deserved as they continually battled throughout.

Finney, Parry and Hutton also all went close to adding to Longhoughton’s lead before Morrison’s strike secured the forward’s 10th goal of the season, making the final score 10-2 to Rangers.

Longhoughton: H Burn, E Smart, B Lewington, E Parry (E Lester 25), J Morrison (c), C Wood, C Hutton, R Keech, H Finney (S Lazenby 25). Player-of-the-match: Morrison. Manager’s player: Keech.