Rangers breach Castle defences to march into cup final

North Northumberland Football League news and reports.
North Northumberland Football League news and reports.

North Northumberland League round-up

Sanderson Cup, Semi-Final

Bamburgh Castle 1 Tweedmouth Rangers 3

Darren Egdell went close in the early stages, running onto a James Dixon flick-on, and saw his long-range effort skim the bar.

Play was even and neither side created much until the 38th minute, when Danny Johnson played a clever ball over the defence into Darren Egdell, who made no mistake (1-0).

Bamburgh finished the half strongly and should have extended the lead, but were unable to trouble the keeper further.

Tweedmouth began the second half with more purpose and a bad touch gave away possession, resulting in Kieran Cromarty levelling on 52 minutes.

Then on 76 minutes, Antony Parkin parried a Tweedmouth effort across the goal which fell to Lee Dodd who couldn’t miss (1-2).

Parkin then tipped another goal-bound effort onto the bar as Tweedmouth got on top.

The tie was effectively over on 82 minutes, when Parkin was forced to rush out to a 50-50 challenge with Sean Simpson, the ball ending up in Bamburgh’s net (1-3).

Johny Johnson forced an excellent save from Ashley Pendrich from the restart, but there was no way back as Tweedmouth went through to the final.

Man-of-the-match - Bamburgh: James Dixon. Tweedmouth: Ross Aitchison. Match sponsor: Milburns Sports Bar.

Division One

Almouth Utd 2 Red Row Welfare 0

Alnmouth gained the three points required to give them an unassailable lead at the top after a hard-fought victory over Red Row.

Judd Donohoe strikes in either half secured the result, although their defence was fully worked at times containing the visitors’ attacks.

An even opening swung Alnmouth’s way midway through the half when a defence-splitting, 40-yard Reece Wright pass was expertly dispatched by Donohoe, lobbing keeper John Charlton from just inside the area.

The lead was almost doubled soon after, but this time Charlton was able to tip over Liam Jefferson’s free-kick.

At the other end, as the half came to a close, Red Row’s luck was out when a Darren Smith strike from the left struck a post and rebounded into Mick Ashurst’s grateful grasp.

It was to be the closest the visitors came, however, as despite piling forward for spells in the second period, the disciplined home back line of Carey, Jones, Martin, Wright and Simpson kept their shape and set up the doubling of the advantage, as Wright, again, broke down the left before crossing for Donohoe who combined with an unfortunate Red Row defender to head home.

Undeterred, the Welfare continued to commit men forward, but United almost added a third as Andrew Murray saw his effort cleared off the line and Donohoe’s follow-up was also scrambled away.

Despite this, Alnmouth ended the game more relaxed as the spirited, away threat finally diminished.

Alnmouth United: M Ashurst, D Carey, R Jones, A Martin, W Simpson (M Robson), R Wright, B Rogerson, L Jefferson, J Donohoe (J Turnbull), A Murray (S Ayre), P Murray.

Red Row: J Charlton, M Smith, B Lilburn, R Warwick, D Palmer, D Shepherd, K Bell, C Flanighan, D Whenray, D Smith, M Anderson.

Referee: K Appleby. Match sponsor: Schooner Hotel, Alnmouth.

Lowick United 1 Wansbeck AFC 2

After a goalless first half, Lowick went ahead with a Paul Fairley goal.

Wansbeck came back to equalise through a Jamie goal and they took the points when the ball was deflected into his own net by a Lowick defender.

Rothbury 9 Highfields Utd 0

Bottom club Highfields United went down to a heavy defeat in this fixture.

Four goals down at half-time, things did not improve in the second half.

Chris Coe, four, Gareth Jones, two, and further goals from Stephen Shendon, Ryan Harrison and Greg Woodburn made up the Rothbury total.

Division Two

Amble St Cuthbert 4 Belford 2

At the end of a very good match, Amble had closed the gap to one point at the head of the table. Amble took a two-goal lead in the first half with Ryan Lillico pulling one back for Belford.

After half-time, Amble netted twice more, with Ryan Lillico scoring his second of the match. Goalscorers for Amble were Reece Ramsay, three, and Mick Stewart.

Embleton WR 1 Springhill 6

A four-goal spree from Chris Jenkins kept Springhill on the heels of the leaders.

Other scorers for Springhill were Michael Antcliffe and Colin Young, with Joe Sleighthome netting a consolation for Embleton.

Craster Rovers 9 Lynemouth Anglers Utd 0

Craster inflicted a heavy defeat on a Lynemouth side who never gave up throughout the game. James Woollett, Richard Stanwix and Lee Pattinson all netted twice, with other goals coming from John Mowbray, Jake Parker and Liam Crowe.

Tweedmouth Harrow 6 Eglingham FC 2

Harrow moved into the top half of the division after this win over Eglingham. They netted twice in the first half to lead at the break, with Jordan Beattie scoring for the visitors.

After half-time, Harvey Coxon scored a second for the visitors but the Harrow scored four more to take the points.

Goalscorers for Harrow were Jordan Richardson and Terry James, with two each, plus single strikes from Kurt Yule and Craig Anderson.

Alnmouth 3 Wooler Reserves 3

Alnmouth had taken a three-goal lead thanks to strikes from John Briggs, Dan Humphreys and Ryan Wolley.

But Wooler hit back to take a share of the points through Paul Murray, Alan Taylor and a Jack Strangeways penalty.