Rangers advance to the cup semi-finals

League round-up

Bilclough Cup, Quarter-Finals

Craster Rovers 1

Berwick Harrow 0

Craster Rovers booked their spot in the semi-final of the Bilclough Cup on Saturday thanks to a late winner from Lee Pattinson.

Rovers went into the match on the back of three wins, giving them plenty of confidence of taking on Division One side Berwick Harrow.

Starting the match without top goalscorer Shaun Toal due to an injury picked up on the morning of the game and without key central-defender Liam Crowe, Rovers started the brighter.

Craster had their first glimpse of goal early on. Armstrong found space behind the Harrow defence, but his volley from 20 yards was straight at the visiting keeper.

The game swung back and forward with chances at both ends. Craster’s keeper Andy Stanwix was in form between the sticks.

Craster thought they had scored on the hour-mark when the ball fell to Armstrong at the back-post. Only six yards out and with time to take a touch, he decided to hit it first time, but the ball took an awful bounce, hitting him on the knee and going out of play.

The game seemed to be heading for extra-time, but there was one last chance. Armstrong picked up the ball on the right and delivered a perfect cross for Pattinson who nodded home and took his side into the semi-final.

Man-of-the-match: Kyle Lowes. Match sponsor: Sportsworld Alnwick. Match-day hospitality: The Jolly Fisherman.

Red Row Welfare 1

Amble St Cuthbert 2

Amble St Cuthbert caused a big cup upset, knocking out higher-division derby opponents Red Row Welfare in the Bilclough Cup Quarter-Final.

The in-form Cuddies proved to be a match for their neighbours, and brought a sweet victory for their manager Sam Palin and those others who had been with the club from its inception in 2011 and had been on the receiving end of two rugby scores from the same opponents in that first testing season.

The early exchanges saw Red Row create two or three good opportunities.

Jack Small was unlucky to see his second-minute header from a free-kick crash against the bar, and soon after Kevin Bell appeared to be caught by goalkeeper Sean Straker, but no penalty was awarded.

Amble’s speedy attack was looking dangerous on the break and in the ninth minute Joe Henderson squared for Reece Ramsay to slot home for his seventh goal in his last six appearances.

On 22 minutes, Ramsay’s lobbed pass put through fellow striker Brad McClelland who finished cooly to make it 2-0.

McClelland was unlucky to not make it 3-0 as home keeper Mavin palmed over his volleyed shot.

The Raa got back in it when Kevin Bell finished with aplomb.

Predictably enough Red Row pressed for the equaliser in the second half and Cuddie’s keeper Sean Straker pulled off a number of fine saves, including from a Sean Palmer penalty in the 78th minute, and Cuddies, who had performed nearer their potentail than their opponents, deservedly held on for a locally famous victory.

Red Row man-of-the-match: Jack Small. Amble man-of-the-match: Sean Straker. Post-match hospitality: Red Row Brick Club

AStC: S Straker, M Davison, M Stewart, T Hamilton, A Thompson, L Ramsay, S Smith (M Nicholls 68), J Henderson, T Stones (T Young 68), R Ramsay, B McClelland (E Iredale 68).

Only one tie saw a first-division team progress to the semi-finals. Stuart Heron scored for Wooler Reserves as Tweedmouth Rangers netted nine times during their game. Craig Colquhoun, with a hat-trick, Lee Dodd (two) and strikes by Mitchell Simpson, Rudy McLeod, Craig Howard and Jack Strangeways saw Rangers into the semis.

Lowick United, through Sam Morrison and Mark Dunlop, were level with North Sunderland, whose goalscorers were Neil MacFarlane and Robert Scott after extra-time, with Lowick winning the resultant penalty shoot-out.

Laidler/Lancaster Cup

Alnmouth United took the lead through John Winter at Highfields United, with Jack Young equalising for the home club.

Alnmouth went through thanks to an extra-time goal from James Woolett.

Kevin Chapman was the lone scorer for Lynemouth Anglers United as they lost to Bamburgh Castle, whose goalscorers were Gareth McCann (two), Will Farmer and Johnny Johnson.

It took penalties for Duns FC to progress at Springhill.