Northern Football Alliance round-up (Saturday, October 20)


Liam Heenan was the toast of Hexham as he struck a late winner at Whitley Bay A this afternoon, writes Jon Tait.

There were just five minutes left when Stuart Brown fired a low shot that was flying wide until Heenan stuck out a leg and diverted it into the back of the net in true poacher’s style.

Brown had his sights in when he hammered a screamer into the roof of the net for the opener in the 16th minute but Lewis Burns levelled for the Seahorses right on half-time. Heenan’s late strike put the Tynedalers in wonderland – and into the third-round draw.

Ponteland United also caused an upset as they sent Shankhouse crashing out.

Paul Ford gave the black and whites a 25th-minute lead that Jordan Walsh cancelled out in the 73rd.

Just five minutes later, Billy Holden put United back in front and Paul Jones put the result beyond doubt with a third in the 85th minute.

Holders Seaton Delaval advanced with a hard-fought win over Northbank.

The diminutive Sam Robinson leapt highest at the back-post to guide a header into the roof of the net in the 65th minute and Luke Newton capitalised on a goalmouth scramble to make it two 10 minutes later.

Northbank pulled one back within two minutes and kept battling away, their efforts almost being rewarded in the 88th minute when they hit the crossbar.

Carlisle City eventually broke Seaton Burn’s resistance with a Brandon Longcakes header in the 31st minute. Six minutes later, he tucked away a second and David Heggie smashed in the third from distance just before half-time.

Sean Bannon grabbed a late hat-trick with Simon Tucker and Ian Cumersky adding the others for the Sky Blues, who won the competition back in 2006/07.


Brian Allen punched the sky in delight as his late double lifted Hebburn Reyrolle off the bottom rung.

Basement rivals Rutherford were looking good after Shaun Todhunter’s early opener but Allen struck an equaliser with just seven minutes to go.

He was mobbed by his delighted team-mates as he netted the winner in the 88th minute.

Jonathon Wright fired Heaton Stannington ahead at Walker Central in the eighth minute and the game was in its dying seconds when subs Gary Yates and Kevin Carr added to the tally to take the black and whites three points clear at the top.

Connall Reed and Michael Bowman scored for Killingworth Sporting at Harraby before Mark Shiel pulled one back.

Andrew Edmundson curled a wonderful free-kick over the wall and into the top corner to extend the Sporting advantage, with Shiel again on target for United in the 77th minute.

David Atkinson netted a 10th minute penalty for Blyth Town and added a second in the 25th minute against Stocksfield.

The visitors hit back with a Chris Hall penalty five minutes after the break and levelled in the 70th as Phillip Murray was on target.

Town were stunned in the 80th minute as Hall was again spot on with another penalty to complete a remarkable turnaround, but hit back and levelled through Kyle Devlin two minutes later, preserving their unbeaten record.


Robbie Sweet’s first-half double put Newcastle Uni in charge at Cramlington Town.

Although Ryan Hutchinson pulled one back for the promotion chasers, Tom Stapleton soon regained the two-goal advantage.

Kevin Long pulled another back for Town but they couldn’t force the issue and the Students held out for a good win.

Mick Reay, Dan Sherliker and Jay Llomano scored for Forest Hall as they just edged Morpeth Town A, whose scorers were Darren Percy and Adam Green, while Heddon’s top form continued as goals from Matthew Tingate and Perry Veitch gave the the points at Gateshead Redheugh, whose targetman was Kev Hay.

Kane Chirnside crashed in two for Willington Quay Saints at Newcastle Chemfica and he was joined on the scoresheet by Stuart Duffield, with Steve McLaughlin notching the consolation.


Wooler retained top spot as Rob Shepherd hit the only goal at Blyth Isabella.

Wallsend Boys Club’s Michael Starkie netted a hat-trick against New Fordley and still wasn’t a winner in a 10-goal thriller.

Steve McCabe and a Ben Robson 35-yard special made up the tally with Lee Waugh (two), Craig Dunn, Steve Ardley and Dean Lees replying, while, in contrast, defences were very much on top at High Howdon who drew a blank with Longbenton.

Matty Donkin hit two in North Shields Athletic’s six-goal blitz over Newcastle Benfield Reserves, with Craig Boyle, Johnny Wyres, Carl Morrison and Scott Jasper grabbing the others.

Swalwell’s Andrew Wright and Lewis Ellis fired in at Cramlington United and Ross Dickinson’s early opener for Wideopen at Birtley St Joseph’s was cancelled out by James Bowman and Dan Irving strikes. Kevin Ord made it all-square before the interval and Grainger Park climbed away from the foot of the table with goals from Chrissy Robinson, Karl Graham, Shaun Sager and a Tony Leach penalty against bottom side Alston, who netted through Dan Parker and Gregg Irwin.

Pin Point Recruitment Northern Football Alliance results (Saturday, October 20)


Bedlington Terr Res v Alnwick Town Res pp

Carlisle City 8 Seaton Burn 0

Ponteland Utd 3 Shankhouse 1

Seaton Del Ams 2 Northbank 1

Whitley Bay A 1 Hexham 2


Amble United v Ashington Colliers pp

Blyth Town 3 Stocksfield 3

Rutherford 1 Hebburn Reyrolle 2

Harraby Utd 2 Killingworth Sp 3

Walker Central 0 Heaton Stann 3


Cramlington Town 2 Newcastle Uni 3

Cullercoats v Red House Farm pp

Forest Hall 3 Morpeth Town A 2

Bohemians v Wallington pp

Redheugh 1 Heddon 2

Newcastle Chem Ind 1 Willington QS 3


Birtley St Joseph’s 2 Wideopen 2

Blyth Isabella 0 Wooler 1

Cramlington Utd 0 Swalwell 2

Grainger Park 4 Alston 2

High Howdon 0 Longbenton 0

North Shields Ath 6 Newcastle Benfield Res 0

Wallsend BC 5 New Fordley 5