Northern Football Alliance round-up (Saturday, October 13, 2012)


Forest Hall and Heddon celebrated pulling off giant-killing acts this afternoon – and Birtley Saint Joseph’s gave Hebburn Reyrolle a mighty scare, writes Jon Tait.

Gateshead Rutherford went ahead against First Division Forest Hall through Peter Williams but Andrew Mitchell equalised.

The visitors went on to net five more times after the break as the Swifts fell apart. Daniel McDonald (two), Michael Reay, Lieu Lomano and a Mark McMeekin own-goal – claimed by keeper Tom Faid after his long clearance bounced in – piled on the misery. Sixteen-year-old Drew Pick grabbed the other for Rutherford, while Dale Robson’s header gave Heddon a win over Stocksfield.

Brian Allan gave Reyrolle a lead that lasted just two minutes over Birtley, who levelled through James Bowman.

The promotion-chasing Division Two side went ahead with an Anthony Smith penalty and there were just two minutes left on the clock when Simon Moslemi levelled. Reyrolle still had a chance to win it, but rattled the crossbar from close range before keeper Michael Hughes pulled off a couple of great stops in the penalty shoot-out to take the Premier Division strugglers through.

Killingworth midfielder Liam Cairns was rushed to hospital with a broken leg early on in Sporting’s excellent 3-2 win over Amble United and the league wishes him a speedy recovery.

His team-mates Connal Reed, Steven Robinson and Liam Callaghan netted as Killingworth dumped United out of a cup for the third successive time. Ross Gair scored twice for the Seasiders, who were reduced to 10 men late on.

Heaton Stannington went ahead after just two minutes when Joe Fulcher tucked away, but visitors Newcastle Chemfica Independent didn’t buckle and levelled through Lenny Lansbury.

In the second half, the black-and-whites added three more with Gary Yates, Jonathon Wright and a Gary Dixon penalty taking them through.

Blyth Town raced into a four-goal lead against Percy Main in the all-Premier Division affair, with Jason Richie, Patrick Allan (two), and David Atkinson doing the damage. Although Ray Oshin pulled one back, Kyle Devlin completed the scoring after the break.

Neighbours Blyth Isabella will join them in the hat after Kris Allington’s double helped them to a comprehensive victory over High Howdon.

Dan Hislop and Matt Lavender got the other, with Craig Black netting the consolation, while Josh Gillespie was Wallington’s two-goal hero at Cullercoats. Chris Moffat got the other as they advanced, with Ian Lee and Steven Hart scoring against last season’s semi-finalists.

Wooler gave first division Willington Quay Saints a real game that wasn’t settled until extra-time. Tristan Jeffries, Craig Henderson and Luke Strangeways fired in for the second division leaders, but goals from Mark Henderson (two), Colin Bell and a John Foggett extra-time winner took Saints into Round Three.

Martin Soulsby (two), Liam Thomas and Paul Newton-Eddy drilled home for Red House Farm as they disposed of North Shields Athletic, who gave them a real game, with Karl Morrison bagging a brace.


Cramlington Town’s Dean Muckle grabbed a late leveller as they fought back from two down to claim a point off Ponteland United in a thrilling match.

Paul Ford’s two-minute first-half double put United in charge, but Town fought back with James Armstrong and Muckle hitting the net.

Stephen Spoors, Craig Williams and Graeme King were on target for Gateshead Redheugh as they took three points at the Uni, with Henry Scutt and Adam Ball replying, while Bedlington Terriers Reserves struck three times against Morpeth Town A to go back to the top of the table. Chris Neale, Scott Westaway and Callum Donahue were the hot-shots.


Nicky Hara scored one of the quickest goals of the season – taking just eight seconds to net for Seaton Burn against Newcastle Benfield Reserves.

It just got better for the hosts as Jack Greenwell, Craig Jackson and Andrew Bennett added further goals before the break.

Chris Thompson pulled one back late on for Benfield.

New Fordley’s Scott Bamborough and Louis Boddy scored in a narrow derby win over Cramlington United and it finished all-square at Alston as a Greg Irwin goal was cancelled out by Longbenton’s David Short.

Stuart Rook fired in for Swalwell against Grainger Park, who scored through Tony Leach, and a David Gabbittus double helped Wideopen to success against Alnwick Town Reserves. Andrew Shaw hit the opener and Jordan Trotter claimed a late consolation.


Wallsend Town’s Paul Harding and James Garwood were their marksmen as the advanced in the Senior Benevolent Bowl at the expense of Shankhouse.

Carlisle City are the Alliance’s only representatives left in the Cumberland Senior Cup as Harraby United and Northbank crashed out.

City’s Martin Shepherd crashed in a hat-trick in a 9-1 success over Frizington White Star and he was joined on the scoresheet by Sean Bannon (two), Tom Lucock (two) and Brandon Longcakes (two).

Aaron Roberts netted a spectacular 35-yard lob for Harraby at Silloth, but they went down 3-1 and Keswick won 1-0 at Northbank.



Ashington Colliers v Wallsend Boys Club pp

Blyth Isabella 4 High Howdon 1

Blyth Town 5 Percy Main 1

Cullercoats 2 Wallington 3

Rutherford 2 Forest Hall 6

Heaton Stann 4 Newcastle Chem Ind 1

Hebburn Reyrolle 2 Birtley St Josephs 2 (aet – Hebburn win 4-1 on pens)

Heddon 1 Stocksfield 0

Killingworth Sp 3 Amble United 2

Red House Farm 4 North Shields Ath 2

Willington QS 4 Wooler 3 (aet)


Carlisle City 9 Frizington White Star 1

Northbank 0 Keswick 1

Silloth 3 Harraby United 1


Wallsend Town 2 Shankhouse 0


Seaton Delaval v Walker Central pp


Bedlington Terr Res 3 Morpeth Town A 0

Cramlington Town 2 Ponteland United 2

Gosforth Bohs v Hexham pp

Newcastle Uni 2 Redheugh 3


Alston 1 Longbenton 1

New Fordley 2 Cramlington United 0

Seaton Burn 4 Newcastle Benfield Res 1

Swalwell 1 Grainger Park 1

Wideopen 3 Alnwick Town Res 1