Northern Football Alliance round-up (Saturday, October 12)


Birtley Saint Joseph’s pulled off a shock in the Archers of Blyth George Dobbins League Cup yesterday as Anthony Smith’s 17th-minute strike sent the Division One side through against Premier Division Killingworth Station.

There was also a surprise at First Division Ponteland United, who dumped out Premier League Red House Farm thanks to Craig Cook’s 15th-minute goal.

And the shocks kept coming thick and fast with Nicky Whitelaw hitting a hat-trick in Wallsend Boys Club’s extra-time win at Gateshead Rutherford.

Steve McCabe, David Coulson, Michael Starkie and Sean Latimer added the others with Danny Hill, Sam Moore and Jason Snowball netting for the hosts, who lost their goalkeeper to injury and did not have another on the bench.

Kev Hay (two), Alan Pegram and John Dewhirst were on the scoresheet for Redheugh as they beat Wallington, with Dan Thompson and Nathan Williamson replying, while Aiden Bell’s double helped Newcastle Benfield reserves to shock Stocksfield in extra-time.

Max Perkin and Richard Bell netted the others, with goals from Phil Murray, Ben Dibb-Fuller and Rob Grainey not enough for the Griffins.

Hebburn Reyrolle just avoided a banana skin against Longbenton, who led 2-0 at one point. The Bulls had Paul Pescod and Rob Woods (two) on target, with Reyrolle’s counters coming from Jonny Basham, Matty Scott (two) and Dan Murray.

Joe Moscrop struck twice, one from the penalty spot, as they dumped Whitley Bay A out in an all-Premier affair. Stephen Dodds pulled one back with five minutes to go.

Chris Rue and Paul Dunn (two) struck in quick succession as Shankhouse beat Willington Quay Saints. They took their foot off the gas after the break, with Josh Walsh’s late goal sealing the win.

Blyth Town’s David Robertson hit a hat-trick as they avoided any embarrassment at Newcastle Uni. David Atkinson (two) and Dan Beresford added others, with Robbie Sweet notching a consolation.

Big Steve McLaughlin struck twice in Newcastle Chemfica’s victory at Wooler. Dan Sherliker added the other.

Adam Shanks struck three in Cramlington Town’s victory over Hexham, with Danny McDonald, Paul Joisce and Adam Green (pen) adding the others. Dale Dodds netted a consolation.

There was also a hat-trick for North Shields Athletic’s Lee Crammond against Seaton Burn. Sean Millington added another, with Ryan Scraggs pulling one back.

Lee Waugh and Louis Boddy both bagged braces in New Fordley’s success at Gosforth Bohs with Robert Ruddick and Keiran Pyle also on the scoresheet. Tavis Couling got a consolation.

Louis Meach, James Fenwick and Lewis Conroy were on target for Gateshead Leam Rangers in another surprise as they saw off Chopwell, who scored through Craig Foster and Derek Waters.


In the only Premier Division fixture, Darren Addison hit the only goal of the game as Carlisle City won at Percy Main to move up to fourth spot.


Mark Murtagh’s brace for Heddon gave them a good win at Cullercoats, Michael Moore replying.


Blyth Isabella moved up to third as Michael Meins hit a hat-trick in their win over Grainger Park. Paul Huck got the other and Nathan Lowdon netted for the visitors.

Wideopen’s Ben Cowley struck twice in a good win at Alnwick Town Reserves with Kev Hunter also on target. Neil McFall scored for Town.

Swalwell’s Geoff Halliday, Matthew Baldwin, Max Ross, Ross taylor and an own-goal did the damage at Cramlington United and Liam Donnelly, John Doyle, Nathan Capeling, Adam Bravey and Adam Clark all notched for Whitburn Athletic in an exciting win at West Allotment Celtic A, who netted thanks to Jason Nicholson (two) and Matt Slater.

Luke Molloy (two), Chris Marshall and an own-goal looked to have given High Howdon three points at AFC Newbiggin, but the Seasiders hit back through Darren Burn, Jon McEnaney, Richard Kennedy and a last-minute Ross Muter header to claim a point in an end-to-end eight-goal thriller.