Northern Football Alliance round-up (May 12)


THE celebrations ran long into last night as Heaton Stannington were crowned the Northern Alliance Champions after a 3-2 victory at Shankhouse, writes Jon Tait.

Derek Thompson’s side were in a party mood and netted three times in the opening half-hour.

Gary Dixon gave them an early lead from the penalty-spot and Ian Irvine headed in the second soon after.

Dean Deagle pulled one back, but Heaton added a third when Ben Telford tapped in from close range.

David Dormand crashed in a second for the hosts but it couldn’t dampen the celebrations as the black and white ribbons adorned the silverware and the champagne began spraying.

Dan Balmer netted a double as Harraby came from behind twice to beat Ponteland United.

Gavin Wood’s penalty put the visitors ahead, with Balmer replying just before the break.

United sub Andy Mogwo crashed in a stunning drive from distance to restore their advantage, but once Balmer had levelled again, it was all Harraby.

Peter Ferris slammed in the third, Matthew Bell reacted quickest when the ball came back off the woodwork for the fourth and in the final minute, Darren Addison stretched the net with another 35-yard pile-driver.

Chris Fairless gave Stocksfield the lead against third-placed Whitley Bay A in an exciting end-to-end game that saw Ian Lee equalise. Sandy Tordoff made it 2-1 to the Griffins but an unlucky Matthew Stables own-goal restored parity.

Lee struck soon after to gave the Seahorses the advantage, but Fairless made no mistake from the penalty spot with seven minutes to go to make it 3-3.


AMBLE United added the Subsidiary Cup to their bursting trophy cabinet with a 4-2 win over Newcastle Uni after extra-time.

The Students took the lead when Rikki Hume deflected into his own net in the 10th minute, with Sean Taylor levelling in the 22nd.

The match remained deadlocked until a three-goal burst in the first period of extra-time.

Ross Gair shot United ahead but it took the Uni just two minutes to level through Ed Savitt.

Josh Hay put United back in front in the 100th minute and Adam Shanks sealed victory in the 118th.

The Seasiders made it a unique treble, adding the trophy to the Division One Championship and Combination Cup that they had already lifted.


THERE was also joy at Hexham as they became Division Two champions with a 3-0 win at Wallsend Boys Club.

Gavin Cox’s looping header gave them the lead and, when Ali Stobbs raced through from midfield and squeezed a shot past the out-rushing keeper, they were in wonderland.

Orin Parkinson slammed a late penalty into the roof of the net to put the icing on the cake.

Six-shooting Willington Quay Saints are very much still in the hunt for promotion as goals from Kane Chirnside, Mark Henderson, Stuart Duffield, Wes Fiddler, Stephen King and Stephen Telford gave them the points at Cramlington United while Whickham Lang Jacks harbour promotion hopes of their own and they hit five against Harton & Westoe, who are leaving to join the Wearside League.

Goals from Stephen Spoors, Ben Howell, Christopher Gill, Craig Cook and Ryan Davenport did the damage.




Amble United 4 Newcastle Uni 2 (aet)


Harraby CC 5 Ponteland United 2

Shankhouse 2 Heaton Stannington 3

Stocksfield 3 Whitley Bay A 3


Alnwick Town Res v Alston pp

Cramlington United 0 Willington Quay Saints 6

New Fordley v Northbank pp

Wallsend Boys Club 0 Hexham 3

Whickham Lang Jacks 5 Harton & Westoe 2