Northern Football Alliance round-up (April 28)


Michael Waggett banged in a double as leaders Heaton Stannington zeroed in on the title this afternoon, writes Jon Tait.

He slotted the opener against Killingworth Sporting just before the break and three goals in six minutes after half-time – from Ben Telford, Jonathon Wright and a stunning Waggett drive – shattered the resistance. Joe Wear headed a fifth late on to complete the emphatic win.

But Hebburn Reyrolle’s important victory at Whitley Bay A keeps them in contention. It what was a must-win game for both sides, Channon North went clear to tuck away the first and Dean Patton volleyed in the second after the break.

The cheers that Ponteland United heard last summer in lifting the title turned to tears as they crashed to defeat at already-relegated Murton and joined them in the relegation spots.

United were left with a mountain to climb after first-half goals from Liam Wintripp and Tom Wilkie (pen). Daniel Dunn pulled one back late on but the black and whites couldn’t force the issue.

Shaun Gibson’s early free-kick gave Ashington Colliers the points at Carlisle City, who hit the woodwork three times, while Shankhouse also rattled the post in a goalless draw at Blyth Town.

Stocksfield struck four times in the second half at Walker Central with Chris Fairless (two), Glenn Caygill and Philip Murray on target and Harraby CC also hit four in the second half against Gateshead Rutherford on Friday night.

Ashley Coombe, Dean Armstrong, an own-goal and a Alan Casey strike made up the tally.


NEWCASTLE Chemfica Independent took the lead against Wallington when Steve McLaughlin netted in the 42nd minute. John Paxton levelled a couple of minutes later and the Greens took the points in what was a curtain-raiser for the NFA Minor Cup final on the May 18 when Jordan Nellis fired in from the penalty-spot.

Goals from Forest Hall’s Jorge Bollado and Josh Gow lifted them up to ninth in Division One as they beat Newcastle Uni, who replied through Tom Smith.

Daniel Sneap crashed in a hat-trick for Cullercoats and Steve Hart grabbed the other as they led nine-man Wallsend Town 4-1. But never-say-die Town fought back to level with goals from Paul McHutcheon (two), Lee Garwood and Louis Ekon.


HEXHAM kept up their second division title hopes with two goals in five second-half minutes from Thomas North and Liam Heenan in a good, open game with plenty of chances against Swalwell.

Northbank are also in with a shout and moved up to third with a narrow victory over Seaton Burn, Aaron Roberts grabbing a double and Nicky Routledge and Martin Rickerby the others, with Chris Baker bagging a brace and Jordan Milne the other in reply.

Bedlington Terriers Reserves are looking to book a promotion spot after a 3-2 win at Willlington Quay Saints. Rob Eastway, Michael Grieves and Ryan Chisholm were the Terriers hitmen, while Noel Clynch and Kane Chirnside hit the net for Saints.

Alston’s Jordan Norris hit two in a comfortable win over Cramlington United. Dan Alexander got the third.

Northerm Football Alliance results (April 28)


Pin Point Recruitment Northern Football Alliance

Saturday, April 28


Blyth Town 0 Shankhouse 0

Carlisle City 0 Ashington Colliers 1

Heaton Stannington 5 Killingworth Sporting 0

Murton 2 Ponteland United 1

Walker Central 0 Stocksfield 4

Whitley Bay A 0 Hebburn Reyrolle 2


Amble United v Heddon pp

Forest Hall 2 Newcastle Uni 1

Wallington 2 Newcastle Chem Ind 1

Wallsend Town 4 Cullercoats 4


Alnwick Town Res v Whickham LJ pp

Alston 3 Cramlington United 0

Hexham 2 Swalwell 0

Northbank 4 Seaton Burn 3

Willington QS 2 Bedlington Terriers Res 3

Friday, April 27


Harraby CC 4 Gateshead Rutherford 0