Northern Football Alliance round-up


A LATE free-kick was deflected into the net off a defender to end Heaton Stannington’s seven-game winning run yesterday, writes Jon Tait.

The league leaders went ahead against Whitley Bay A as Lee Johnson struck in the 15th minute, but the Seahorses levelled through Niall Younger on the half-hour and the wicked deflection that sent the ball spinning into the net in the 80th minute condemned the black and whites to only their second defeat.

Shankhouse moved up into third spot as Ashington Colliers keeper Craig Towart was unlucky to put the opener into his own net and Craig Deighton sealed the win in the 55th minute.

Hebburn Reyrolle’s Craig Armstrong and Chris McDonald both hit two as they romped to a 6-2 victory at Percy Main. McDonald took just 35 seconds to net the opener and Armstrong’s double made it 3-0 by the 13th minute.

Further goals from gutted Main defender Tony Browell and Ray Oshin completed the rout, with Tony Abladey striking twice, once from the penalty spot, in reply.

Sean Todhunter scored a double for Gateshead Rutherford in their 3-0 success over Harraby CC, while goals from Scott Johnson and Steve Forster gave Stocksfield the points at Blyth Town, who had Dan Beresford notch a consolation.

Killingworth Sporting’s Liam Callaghan was another double hero in their 2-1 win over Walker Central, with Fabian Pritchard replying for the visitors.

Harry Tulip and Max Turner netted for Ponteland United as they beat Murton 2-1. The visitors, who have slipped to bottom spot, had Karl Garside on target.


MICHAEL Burn, Jonathon Wright and Selsos Anjos’ goals for Seaton Delaval at Carlisle City were cancelled out by Ian Grainger, Tom Lucock and Stuart Hill in the Kicks Leisure Challenge Cup. Andy Rogerson grabbed a brace for the Cumbrians in extra-time to book them a trip to Blyth Town in the second round.


AMBLE United continued their fantastic start and are beginning to look like title favourites as Brent Aisbitt and Josh Hay scored in their 2-1 win at Newcastle Chemfica. Steve McLaughlin grabbed the consolation.

Wallsend Town are hot on United’s heels and Gary Hall scored twice in their 4-3 success at Newcastle Uni. Paul McHutcheon and Barry Musoko got the other Town goals with Edward Savitt (two) and Patrick Stokle netting for the students.

Daniel Thompson scored a double for Wallington in their 2-1 derby win over Morpeth SC, sparing team-mate Ben Fenwick’s blushes after his header looped into his own net to level things up.

Bohemians had Craig Allen, Tavis Couting, Paul Studley, Darren Campbell, Andy Renton and Iain Harris on target in a resounding victory at bottom side Newcastle East End while goals from Graham Allen, Michael Gill and Dan Sneap gave Cullercoats the points at Forest Hall, who had Dean Smith grab the reply.

Wark have sadly officially resigned from Division One due to a player shortage.


DANIEL Ternet’s late, late leveller salvaged a point for Division Two leaders Red House Farm at Hexham and preserved their unbeaten record.

A Mark Gibson strike and an own-goal had put Hexham in charge but Chris Mann pulled one back from the penalty spot with six minutes to go and the game was deep into stoppage time when Ternet levelled.

Sean Flood hit a hat-trick for Harton & Westoe in their 4-1 win over Seaton Burn. Ben Copper got the other with Chris Baker notching the consolation and the goals were also flying in for Bedlington Terriers Reserves hit-man Michael Grieves, who got three in a 9-0 drubbing of Willington Quay Saints.

Scott Westaway got two and Mark Nicholson, Sean Nicholson, Ronnie Foreman and Jake Turnbull completed the rout.

Daniel Young’s brace was added to by Ben Tobin, Andrew Waugh and Ryan Carr as New Fordley beat North Shields Athletic and Wideopen strikers Chris Sword and Andrew Bruce also got two apiece for Wideopen in a 5-1 demolition of Alston. Lewis Grant got the other and Dennis Thirtle netted the reply.


SWALWELL’S Michael Bell and Thomas Ridley were on target in a 2-1 extra-time success at Northbank in the Pin Point Recruitment Amateur Cup, while Mark Worrall struck for the red-and-whites.


Whickham Lang Jacks thrashed Sunderland Hope Church 6-1 in the Durham Minor Cup but Cramlington United crashed out of the Northumberland Minor Cup 1-0 at Belford.

RESULTS (Saturday, October 1)


Carlisle City 5 Seaton Delaval Amateurs 3 (aet)


Northbank 1 Swalwell 2 (aet)


Blyth Town 1 Stocksfield 2

Gateshead Rutherford 3 Harraby Catholic Club 0

Heaton Stannington 1 Whitley Bay A 2

Killingworth Sporting 2 Walker Central 1

Percy Main Amateurs 2 Hebburn Reyrolle 6

Ponteland United 2 Murton 1

Shankhouse 2 Ashington Colliers 0


Forest Hall 1 Cullercoats 3

Newcastle Chemfica Ind 1 Amble United 2

Newcastle East End 0 Gosforth Bohemians 5

Newcastle University 3 Wallsend Town 4

Wallington 2 Morpeth SC 1