Northern Alliance Football League round-up


SEATON Delaval’s Steven Anderson must have felt that he’d gone from hero to zero as he was sent off after just two minutes against leaders Ponteland United.

Anderson had netted twice from the penalty spot as Delaval lifted the Challenge Cup in mid-week, but his Saturday afternoon’s work came to an abrupt halt with the straight red card.

His team-mates, however, did him proud as Steven Gray bent a free-kick around the wall and in off the post for the only goal of the game.

United’s defeat blew the title race wide open again as second-placed Alnwick Town came back from behind twice against battling bottom side Cramlington Town to win 4-2 and move within two points of the leaders with a game in hand after losing their midweek home game 0-1 against Ashington Colliers.

Johnny Lowes and James Card scored for the visitors, with Scott McMullen hitting a double and Mark Cockburn and Danny Lowes getting the others for Alnwick.

There was a surprise at high-flying Killingworth as Murton striker Paul Wintripp netted a hat-trick to give them hope of avoiding relegation in a storming 4-1 win. Nathan Ball grabbed the other for rampant Murton while Craig Harley netted the consolation.

Steve Forster, Glenn Caygill and a Wayne Stewart penalty secured Stocksfield’s 3-0 win at Walker Central as they got a bit of breathing space while Wark’s Thomas McAlindon got a double in a 2-2 draw with Shankhouse, who had Kevin Ward and Chris Rue on target.

Liam Davidson gave Ashington Colliers the lead from the penalty-spot against Gateshead Rutherford but Eddie Keenan levelled soon after. Michael Hogg hit the winner for Colliers.

Carlisle City keeper Stephen Bellas was sent-off at Percy Main as goals from Michael Bowman, Jason Ritchie and sub Craig Ewart gave the home side a comfortable 3-0 win.


HEATON Stannington were made to sweat before they went into the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup Final.

Goals from Ian Lee and Craig Smith put First Division visitors Whitley Bay A 2-0 up in eight minutes. But Adam Donaghey netted a penalty to get Heaton back in it and then struck the equaliser and they went on to win the game 4-2 on penalties.


LEADERS Hebburn Reyrolle continued their march towards the title with a 5-0 win over Newcastle East End.

Ray Oshin hit two and he was joined by Simon Jacobs, Channon North and Craig Watson as leaders Hebburn Reyrolle beat Newcastle East End 5-0, while Heddon recorded a 6-1 success at Berwick United.

Ben Haddock netted a double and Paul Thompson, Chris Moffat, Andrew Davidson and Steven Satherthwaite all got in on the act, while Craig Heugh hit a consolation.

Amble United’s Sean Taylor got two and Brett Robertson the other in a 3-2 derby win at Stobswood Welfare. Kevin Bell and Adam Shanks were on target for the home side, who are now deep in relegation trouble.

Jordan Nellis scored twice for Wallington as they were 3-2 victors over Morpeth Sporting to claim local bragging rights in the other derby clash. Kyle Reardon put the other away, with Dale Chubb and Billy Hynes the Morpeth marksmen.

Anthony Abladey was the hot-shot of the day with a four-goal return in South Shields United’s emphatic 8-2 win at North Shields Athletic.

He was joined on the scoresheet by Mark Dawes (2), Aristote Guerin and David Hilary, with Gary Farrage and Richard Speckman replying for shell-shocked Athletic.

Goals from Michael Reay, Darren Henderson and Alan Kelly ensured that First Division bottom side Forest Hall won their second game on the bounce as they beat Gosforth Bohemians 3-1, with Craig Allen replying.

Rob Watson, Gareth Armstrong and Craig Deighton scored for Cullercoats as they won 3-1 at Newcastle Uni. Tom Stapleton scored for the Students.


WALLSEND Town stayed on top of Division Two as Craig Burke netted a double at Boys Club. Sean Reid was also on target, while Connor Winter netted the consolation.

Matty Harrison also netted twice for Newcastle Chemfica Independent as they maintained their title chances with a 4-1 success over Tynemouth United.

Steve McLaughlin and new signing Manu were also on target in the win with United’s Scot Rowan netting the consolation.

Northbank’s John Slaven claimed the match ball with a treble in a 6-0 drubbing of bottom side Wideopen with Nicky Routledge, Andy Rogerson and Martin Rickerby also registering, while Red House Farm were also among the goals as they ran out 5-2 victors over Willington Quay Saints.

Ben Cooper and Greg Wiley scored for Simonside SC, whose promotion hopes are still strong after a 2-1 win over Hexham, with Curtis Hardy their scorer, while Stuart Rook struck twice for Swalwell in a 3-1 win at Whitley Bay Town.

Graeme Murray replied, but the unlucky Paolo Black put into his own net.

Nicky Hara, Ian Armstrong and Stephen Baker all scored in a red-hot six-minute spell for Seaton Burn as they beat Cramlington United 3-0.

The league sadly lost their fourth side of the season as Cullercoats Custom Planet have resigned from Division Two.